What's new

Passive sub to receiver? (1 Viewer)

Ab1979

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfredo
I have a 5.1 home theater set up with an onkyo receiver and a 10” passive in wall sub powered by a dedicated sub amp. However, the sub has very little power and I’m afraid I didn’t connect the onkyo with the sub amp correctly. Here is the sub amp:
EE5E6274-C920-49D2-ACDC-35E24693B7D3.jpeg

and here is the onkyo:
FEA33A8B-A038-401E-804F-F947EB84819B.jpeg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ab1979

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfredo
what model is the sub amp?
It’s the T100 from TruAudio. Apparently it’s super high quality and the subwoofer should blast, but it doesn’t. The passive subwoofer is a speakercraft 10in in-wall.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The subwoofer pre-out from the Onkyo would go into the left input on the amp. dip switches 3 and 4 on the amp should be in the lower position. The speaker output ( R+ and L- ) from the amp would then go to the subwoofer. The subwoofer output on the amp is passive and would go to an active sub. You should not use it for your setup.

Ab1979

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfredo
The subwoofer pre-out from the Onkyo would go into the left input on the amp. dip switches 3 and 4 on the amp should be in the lower position. The speaker output ( R+ and L- ) from the amp would then go to the subwoofer. The subwoofer output on the amp is passive and would go to an active sub. You should not use it for your setup.
I will try that out today to see if it works. I haven’t tried that configuration, so I’m very hopeful. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Correction, #4 should be up for full range. That's a high pass filter, not a low pass filter, so engaging it will eliminate bass entirely.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also #1 and #6 should be down. I'm guessing it has a volume control on the front, which ideally you would engage just like a normal powered sub. #6 is to disengage the service mode.

Ab1979

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfredo
Reporting back with what appears to be good news! I wired the sub amp per the instructions above (with the JohnRice mod) and the sub is hitting pretty decent. I tried music via Spotify and it hits. I streamed a movie on Netflix and Disney+ and definitely felt a deep thump in certain scenes. It’s only a 10in sub, but thanks to you guys it adds a nice touch to my 5.1 system ...I finally have a home theater :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks