What's new

Passive crossovers: Making Lpads for MTMs (1 Viewer)

GaryLP

Agent
If I made a 2-way passive crossover for a 4 ohm tweeter (with a 92dB SPL) and a 4 ohm midrange (with a 89dB SPL), I would need to make a 3dB Lpad for the tweeter.

But say I wanted to use (2) 8 ohm mids (with a 86dB SPL) in parallel instead…how much should I pad down the tweeter?

GaryLP

Agent
Thanks for the response Thomas, but it doesn't answer my question...I already know how to make an Lpad.

What I'm asking is...If I made a 2-way passive crossover for a 4 ohm tweeter (with a 92dB SPL) and a pair 8 ohm mids in parallel (with a 86dB SPL)...how many dB's should I pad the tweeter down? 3dB? 6dB?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Given the variability of the acoustical characteristics of any given room; the usual proceedure is to measure the output level in the room, and adjust the tweeter level from those measurements.

So most designers use a variable L-pad to adjust the level, then pull it out of the circuit, and measure the values for their fix unit.

Unfortunately Phoenix Gold, the only supplier of variable 4 ohm L-pads, has stopped production.

GaryLP

Agent
Hi Thomas, I just wanted to use the textbook answer as a starting point. I will be experimenting, but don't want to buy too many resistors.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Gary, if those are the exact sensitivity numbers for the drivers... since 4db is a typical amount for baffle step compensation, the mids will be have a sensitivity of (86+6)-4 = 88db at low frequencies so you will want to pad down the 92db tweeter by around 4db to match. Of course there is a lot of variability but that is what I would use as a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks