1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

passive bi-amping for more power?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Oupei, May 13, 2005.

1. Oupei

Oupei Agent

I've read the bi-amping information in the primer/faq, and I wanted to just try to get some more power through passive bi-amping . I'm using a Pio514 to drive a pair of JBL E60s. If set the receiver to 5 channel stereo and send both fronts and surrounds to the E60s, then would this give me more power and sound just as good or better?

seems to me, this would reduce the workload on the amplifier circuits since two would be driving each speaker, instead of one. Only thing would be that the power supply would still have to provide all that power. anyways, I just wanted to check that this does what I think it does. Thanks.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

This wouldn't give you more power. When hooked up normally the speaker's crossover seperates the high and low frequencies and sends them to the appropriate drivers. When you bi-amp you're sending a seperate full range signal to each part of the speaker's crossover. When you send the full range signal to the high-frequency side of the crossover everything below the crossover frequency is being removed and is not sent to the actual driver(s). The same is true for the low-frequency part of the crossover/speaker. So regardless of if you have a single channel of 100watts hooked up to the speaker normally or 2 channels of 100watts each in a bi-amp configuration the drivers receive the same amount of power. So bi-amping does not increase the amount of power the speaker's drivers actually receive. Since bi-amping still draws power from 4 channels instead of 2 the power supply is also drawing more current, meaning there's a greater chance of distortion and clipping. Passive bi-amping anytime all channels are from the same amp is a bad idea unless it's needed for impedance matching.

3. Oupei

Oupei Agent

eh, tried to get something for nothing. oh well i guess. thanks though.