What's new

Passion of the Christ DVD -Full bitrate DTS? (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Troy

Since its after the release date, I've sent a request to have a copy shipped to me. I'd like to do a comparison. We'll see what happens.

Mike

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Since its after the release date, I've sent a request to have a copy shipped to me. I'd like to do a comparison. We'll see what happens.

Mike,

That's excellent news. Waiting patiently for that comparison...
smile.gif

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
quote:Adam,

What are the other Fox R1 titles released in the last two years with 1509?

Thanks.

Ed, none in US R1. As far as I know, the last 1509kbps release from Fox was The Thin Red Line. It seems Fox don't have the distribution rights for Passion in PAL R2 or R4: Warner Brothers (among a crowd of others) does, and they have used 1509kbps. That's quite interesting, as other recent Icon releases through Warner Brothers (such as We Were Soldiers) didn't have DTS in any flavour.

Adam

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Ed, none in US R1. As far as I know, the last 1509kbps release from Fox was The Thin Red Line. It seems Fox don't have the distribution rights for Passion in PAL R2 or R4: Warner Brothers (among a crowd of others) does, and they have used 1509kbps.

What wrong with FOX? Why can't they follow Warner Bro's example and have 1509kbps if there is enough space on the disc? Warner has shown there's ample space!! I just can't understand FOX's pattern of thinking!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It's not just a matter of space, it's bitrate. Full bitrate DTS really cuts into your maximum picture bitrate.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I guess what I meant to describe was compression artifacting at the beginning of the film. It's definitely there during one of the dissolves. It looked a little likea Divx video file, which was odd for such a release with a decent bitrate.

AJG

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
quote:It's not just a matter of space, it's bitrate. Full bitrate DTS really cuts into your maximum picture bitrate.
I disagree with this statement. Full bitrate DTS only cuts into the picture bitrate if there's not enough space on the disc for both and thus the picture has to be compressed to compromise. This is not the case with the Passion disc since previous posts show that the Canadian version's video files are actually slightly larger than the US release and still manages to fit the full bitrate 1536 DTS track without compromising picture bitrate.

quote:Why can't they follow Warner Bro's example and have 1509kbps if there is enough space on the disc?
1536 kbps not 1509 kbps based on the PowerDVD screenshot a previous poster posted.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=87

My DVD Collection

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's only part of the equation. There's also the limit on bandwidth (roughly 10Mbps). Full bitrate DTS consumes more of the available bandwidth, which leaves less for scenes that need all the bandwidth they can get for video. So even if there's plenty of space on the disc, full bitrate DTS can lead to problems that wouldn't be visible with half-rate DTS (or just DD 5.1).

I'm not saying that's the case with TPOTC, because I haven't seen either the Canadian or the American version. But disc space isn't the only limiting factor.

M.

greg_t

Screenwriter
quote:1536 kbps not 1509 kbps based on the PowerDVD screenshot a previous poster posted.

1536kbps is the total bitrate including "metadata". The actual DTS data stream is 1509kbps.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Manendra

The FOX disc is on its way to my house. Will post a comparison on my review page as soon as I receive and review it.

Regards

Mike

greg_t

Screenwriter
Cool, thanks for updating us Michael. Great job on your review by the way. I picked up the Fox version and ordered the Canadian DVD as well, so I'll also do some comparisons of my own when I get the Canadian version.

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
quote:The FOX disc is on its way to my house. Will post a comparison on my review page as soon as I receive and review it.

Excellent. Thanks for the effort, Mike.
thumbsup.gif

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I received my R1US today and it was Not full rate. I´m gonna order the canadian version right now.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm looking very forward to your review as well Michael.

I'm working out the final details on getting copy of the Canadian version. Hopefully have it in a week or so.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That dts track on M&C is one of the best. Some of the best use of surrounds and some of the tightest, cleanest bass I've ever felt.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
For us who watch DVDs on a simple television, I still don't see what all the hoopla is all about a DTS track being full bit or not? The majority of DVD purchasers can not use it anyway so it's a moot point.

When will someone ever be happy here? If the sound is perfect there isn't room for the picture. If the picture is perfect then there isn't room for extras. What needs to be done to please everyone so they aren't always griping and moaning like spoiled children? Me, I am extras advocate and purchase non DTS discs when there is a choice.

Eric

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Then, given the title of this thread, it's one you probably should skip. For those who do care about such issues, the thread has served the valuable function of highlighting a difference between the U.S. and Canadian releases.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks