What's new

Passion of the Christ DVD -Full bitrate DTS? (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Is there anyone here who is able to get their hands on both R1 releases? So long as the Canadian does not suffer as far as PQ goes, then I would love to order it for the full-bitrate DTS...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To answer a previous question (which may have been answered already), the Fox R1 release of The Passion Of The Christ is NOT full rate dts.

754 kbs.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the SE.
smile.gif

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
quote:From the sizes posted, it looks like the Canadian version takes up more space. I'm not familiar if they use PAL or NTSC but it doesn't seem like they have compromised on PQ for SQ.

To my knowledge, Canada uses NTSC.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
quote:Video 6,010 MB, DTS 5.1 Latin 715 MB

US

quote:Video at 6738 Mb, audio DTS 5.1 at 1508 Mb

Canadian

(Thanks for the info, guys)

So, our brothers too the North, get a HIGHER V&A bit rate?!?!?!?!?!

quote:Fox seems to be using 1509kbps DTS for this title across several regions (1,2,4).

Adam,

What are the other Fox R1 titles released in the last two years with 1509?

Thanks.

If Fox has released 1509 in R1, recently, I am going to have too eat crow!!!

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Since some members have mentioned the ability to toggle the subs on and off, I assume the subs aren't the original burned-in theatrical subs?

Yuck. Nothing uglier than player-generated subtitles.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have revised the title of this thread to reflect the current uncertainty regarding the DTS track(s) in question.

M.

Miles

Second Unit
Hmm... w/ the Canadian version in DVDShrink3.2 I'm getting 4,430 MB for just the video and the DTS track adds another 1,417 MB for a total of 5,847 MB...

Am I measuring incorrectly?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
quote:I'm waiting for the SE.

I broke down, just too many great comments about the PQ/SQ, though I sure do appreciate the advance knowledge of the SE.

I'll use my relatively meagre resources to see what they say about the contents of the Canadian English WS release, though I'm sure more will weigh in by this evening.

[I was wrong above, there are actually six R1 releases of PotC, 4 of them being Canadian and 2 of those "French".]

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
quote:Aaron, I did not see any pixelation on my copy when we watched it on Saturday, I wonder if you have a bad disc.

I watched the film on a 47" widescreen,and I didn't notice any pixelation either. Maybe you should exchange your disc, Aaron.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Sorry to change the subject but I have a question about PowerDVD. Using PowerDVD I can hear the audio but can not see the video. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? This also happened with Nero ShowTime when I put it in "full screen" mode (video would disappear). The thing is that when I play DVDs using Windows Media Player everything is fine, but I hate WMP. Any help or point me in a direction to where I could find answers. Thanks.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^

Yes, NTSC, we do what the U.S. does in most standards, though occasionally we rename the standards and throw in some of our own niggles, just to be difficult... Not to mention that we heavily watch U.S. transmissions, though I don't know if you watch much of ours...

This time the Canadian covers are English or French only, and the subtitles are in the same language as the cover *only* i.e. no bowing to bilingualism.

Edit: For the record, it's only the packaging that isn't bilingual, there are in fact French subtitles available on the "English" version, contrary to the package listing.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Let me put this to rest right now:

I had a conversation about this with my FOX contact. The US release does in fact have:
[*] An average video bit rate on layer 0 of 6.1 Mbps
[*] An average video bit rate on layer 1 of 7.3 Mbps
[*] DTS streamed at 754.5 kbps

As far as Canadian and international releases, it appears we did get full bitrate DTS.

I will have a full review of this title up later tonight with a lot of emphasis on PQ and SQ.

Regards,

Mike

greg_t

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike. Will you be reviewing only the US version or the canadian as well? Thanks.

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
To Miles in Halifax........

DVD Shrink is showing you the compressed video state at 4430 mb,....if you toggle to no compression it will show the full 6500 mb for the video portion.

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
To CHris in Orlando.....

You will only be able to do the printscreen/capture active video if you have the DVD playing in your DVD-ROM drive. For some reason..if you play the video off your HD, then the printscreen utility doesn't work for either Nero SHowtime or PowerDVD. Can't figure that one out..............

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Greg

FOX did not send out any screeners on this title, so I don't have the U.S. version in my possession. I will be reviewing the Canadian WB edition that I bought at Music World.

Mike

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Michael,

I sure hope you will get your hands on the US Reg.1 release of Passion and do a side by side comparison to the Canadian release on how the PQ & SQ stack up with each other ?

Thanks

Troy

Jason^G

Auditioning
windvd disc info of Region 1 PotC dvd. (widescreen, of course).

Stream:

Type: DTS

Bitrate: 768 Kbps

Number of main channels: 5

LFE Channel: Present

Sampling Frequency: 192khz

Bits Per Sample: 16

Output:

Sample Rate: 48 KHz

Bits per Sample: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles