What's new

Passion of the Christ Available in Bulk this Week (1 Viewer)

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-21858,00.html

Sam's Club Sells 'Passion' Videos in Bulk

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" is being in sold in 50-copy bulk packs at Sam's Clubs nationwide this week.
These advanced sales are targeted at religious groups that would like their copies in hand before the official Tuesday, Aug. 31 release date for the videos.

The 50-pack DVDs are selling for $898, $17.96 apiece, and the videocassette packs go for $795, $15.90 each, reports the AP. The list price for a single "Passion" DVD and VHS copy is $29.98 and $24.98, respectively.

"Focusing on small business is our mission, and that includes churches and religious segments," says Sam's spokesperson Jolanda Stewart.

Religious groups and stores usually purchase from specialized companies, but Zondervan, which holds the film's distribution rights for the Christian market, supports all efforts to spread "Passion's" message.

"We are businesses, but there's also a ministry component to what we do, and we understand that some consumers do not shop in Christian bookstores and that's fine," says Zondervan spokesperson Tara Powers. "We still want them to be able to get the movie."

Gibson's "Passion" follows the final hours in the life of Jesus and has earned nearly $370 million at the domestic box office.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I still think most people are going overboard with saying that Passion will be the top selling DVD of all time. It's a great movie and all but I really don't think that many people will buy it. It was hard to watch the first time. I'll rent it when it streets but that's about it.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
So what youre saying is that I could go inot Sams this week and buy a copy of Passion? Or is it in bulk only?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Buy the bulk set, keep a couple of copies for yourself, and sell the rest on ebay! You'll make a fortune! :D

This is an interesting tactic though. If video rental stores got their stock from a "club" store under the condition it can only be rented until the title is officially released for sale, that could start a new trend. Could such a move intrease DVD sales by selling first to the rental market followed by the retail market? Rent the movie first, and buy it later if you really like it along with all the special features that normally come with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not sure if this is a good move.

The EBAY sellers are gonna make a mint.

Almost makes me want to buy these in bulk and
resell them at a slightly higher price.

Don't like this at all.

Jeff

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, so many will probably be auctioning it, before you know it the average price will be $19.99 or lower. That's not that much of a profit. But that would be good for us buyers! :)

By the way, is this the exact same DVD that's coming in August?

Jeff

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Why would it be? This is more slick marketing for this slick movie.

Don't buy it on EBAY, you will likely be able to get them cheap or free at a church event.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
My God, this is crazy!!!

I was dumb founded when I read this, I can't believe there has only been 10 replies to this thread in 6 hours.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I'm not so sure there will be a lot of sellers jumping on this. $900 is a big gamble, especially when you need to sell each copy for at least $20 just to cover cost plus Ebay expenses. Plus not everyone has $900 to put up (even in credit.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Before everyone starts selling organs to make a mint on eBay...

The title is on sale now through 7/31. It will still be released on 8/31, for everyone including bulk sales.

According to the official website, this bulk sale is designed to guarantee that churches will have large quantities on-hand on 8/31.

It is available through a number of retailers.

Also, the bulk DVD version is widescreen.

http://www.foxhome.com/thepassion/bulk_case.html

- Steve

Galen_V

Second Unit
Politics aside, I think this is just a move on FOX, Icon and Gibson's part to make this the best selling DVD of all time. It's not like the people who attend church don't have a Walmart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target or a computer anywhere near them where they could buy it on 8/31; they just want to be able to move 'x' amount of additional copies before the individual sale date just to pad up their sales stats and figures (assuming that this bulk sale isn't going to cut down on their ordinary release date shipments to the box stores).

But, at least it's widescreen only :D

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Widescreen only for that bulk pack! :emoji_thumbsup:

This is a very interesting marketing move. I have never seen anything like this done before, but yet again, this is a type of movie that doesn't come along too often. It will be very interesting to see how this affects the sales.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
What, they're not going to zoom and pan and scan and crop Jesus for the masses? :D

Can't wait to see if anything interesting comes of this link

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting tactic indeed. And scary at the same time, as other films might follow suit, making some people wait for regular retail outlets to get them.

And BTW Ron, love the new look!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks