Passion of the Christ Available in Bulk this Week

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg Madsen, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-21858,00.html

Sam's Club Sells 'Passion' Videos in Bulk

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" is being in sold in 50-copy bulk packs at Sam's Clubs nationwide this week.
    These advanced sales are targeted at religious groups that would like their copies in hand before the official Tuesday, Aug. 31 release date for the videos.

The 50-pack DVDs are selling for $898, $17.96 apiece, and the videocassette packs go for $795, $15.90 each, reports the AP. The list price for a single "Passion" DVD and VHS copy is $29.98 and $24.98, respectively.

"Focusing on small business is our mission, and that includes churches and religious segments," says Sam's spokesperson Jolanda Stewart.

Religious groups and stores usually purchase from specialized companies, but Zondervan, which holds the film's distribution rights for the Christian market, supports all efforts to spread "Passion's" message.

"We are businesses, but there's also a ministry component to what we do, and we understand that some consumers do not shop in Christian bookstores and that's fine," says Zondervan spokesperson Tara Powers. "We still want them to be able to get the movie."

Gibson's "Passion" follows the final hours in the life of Jesus and has earned nearly $370 million at the domestic box office.

2. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Sorry, the probably should have been in the Bargain Forum.

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I guess this means THE PASSION DVD is going to turn up on eBay within the next few days.

4. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I still think most people are going overboard with saying that Passion will be the top selling DVD of all time. It's a great movie and all but I really don't think that many people will buy it. It was hard to watch the first time. I'll rent it when it streets but that's about it.

5. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

So what youre saying is that I could go inot Sams this week and buy a copy of Passion? Or is it in bulk only?

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

Buy the bulk set, keep a couple of copies for yourself, and sell the rest on ebay! You'll make a fortune! [​IMG]

This is an interesting tactic though. If video rental stores got their stock from a "club" store under the condition it can only be rented until the title is officially released for sale, that could start a new trend. Could such a move intrease DVD sales by selling first to the rental market followed by the retail market? Rent the movie first, and buy it later if you really like it along with all the special features that normally come with it.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Not sure if this is a good move.

The EBAY sellers are gonna make a mint.

Almost makes me want to buy these in bulk and
    resell them at a slightly higher price.

Don't like this at all.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

What would stop Amazon.com, etc from buying the sets?

Seems an odd marketing decision.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, so many will probably be auctioning it, before you know it the average price will be $19.99 or lower. That's not that much of a profit. But that would be good for us buyers! [​IMG]

By the way, is this the exact same DVD that's coming in August?

Jeff

10. WillG

WillG Producer

I wonder what version it's being sold in

11. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I don't see how this is a good thing at all for the "little guy."

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Why would it be? This is more slick marketing for this slick movie.

Don't buy it on EBAY, you will likely be able to get them cheap or free at a church event.

13. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

My God, this is crazy!!!

I was dumb founded when I read this, I can't believe there has only been 10 replies to this thread in 6 hours.

14. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I'm not so sure there will be a lot of sellers jumping on this. $900 is a big gamble, especially when you need to sell each copy for at least $20 just to cover cost plus Ebay expenses. Plus not everyone has $900 to put up (even in credit.

15. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Before everyone starts selling organs to make a mint on eBay...

The title is on sale now through 7/31. It will still be released on 8/31, for everyone including bulk sales.

According to the official website, this bulk sale is designed to guarantee that churches will have large quantities on-hand on 8/31.

It is available through a number of retailers.

Also, the bulk DVD version is widescreen.

http://www.foxhome.com/thepassion/bulk_case.html

- Steve

16. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

Politics aside, I think this is just a move on FOX, Icon and Gibson's part to make this the best selling DVD of all time. It's not like the people who attend church don't have a Walmart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target or a computer anywhere near them where they could buy it on 8/31; they just want to be able to move 'x' amount of additional copies before the individual sale date just to pad up their sales stats and figures (assuming that this bulk sale isn't going to cut down on their ordinary release date shipments to the box stores).

But, at least it's widescreen only [​IMG]

17. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Widescreen only for that bulk pack! [​IMG]

This is a very interesting marketing move. I have never seen anything like this done before, but yet again, this is a type of movie that doesn't come along too often. It will be very interesting to see how this affects the sales.

18. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

You just know that those bulk packs are going to be broken into and then sold as single units !!![​IMG]

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

What, they're not going to zoom and pan and scan and crop Jesus for the masses? [​IMG]

Can't wait to see if anything interesting comes of this link

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Very interesting tactic indeed. And scary at the same time, as other films might follow suit, making some people wait for regular retail outlets to get them.

And BTW Ron, love the new look!