What's new

Passengers (2016) (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just came back from seeing the movie, and thought it was excellent!
It is definitely not your traditional genre movie. It was very refreshing to see a Scifi that does not deal with an apocalyptic future, an invasion of aliens, or a constant series of battles in space. These last have become so boring that I often fast forward through them.
It developes smoothly, has an interesting story and a logical and satisfying ending (although I do wish there was a bit more info at the end). It would be a great date movie.

I caveat -- our IMAX was occupied by some Star something or other movie, so we saw it in a regular theatre with real 3D. Without glasses the screen did look blurry, but I noticed very little depth in the film at all. It could have been the projection I suppose, but if this level of 3D is all the movie has to offer, I don't think I would bother to see it in that format.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
A friend of mine went to see this with his girlfriend and they thought it was "ok". Yes, that was the extent of their review.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ive gotten to where I generally only watch trailer one, maybe trailer two, which come out early on, and then I ignore everything else including web and media reviews. I go mosre with reviews from places like this and AVS, HDD, etc...

I do not go to the theater anymore, so I will preorder in UHD and if the reviews are bad enough, Ill just rent on netflix.

Have been looking forward to this just from minor teasers I've seen, not full trailers and have stayed away from spoilers. But just reading headlines from articles, this is being shredded.

I also do not go to the theatre any longer. I can wait six months and not have to deal with rude teenagers, cell-phones, parking, crowds and the ridiculous cost of tickets and concessions. Much more fun to watch at home with a group of friends or just me and my dogs :rolleyes:

To this day, I don't get the fascination with Jennifer Lawrence and why she can get such a huge salary. There's nothing special about her, she certainly doesn't have the talent of somebody like Meryl Streep. Oh well, millennials and their lack of sophistication.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have been looking forward to this just from minor teasers I've seen, not full trailers and have stayed away from spoilers. But just reading headlines from articles, this is being shredded.

I also do not go to the theatre any longer. I can wait six months and not have to deal with rude teenagers, cell-phones, parking, crowds and the ridiculous cost of tickets and concessions. Much more fun to watch at home with a group of friends or just me and my dogs :rolleyes:

To this day, I don't get the fascination with Jennifer Lawrence and why she can get such a huge salary. There's nothing special about her, she certainly doesn't have the talent of somebody like Meryl Streep. Oh well, millennials and their lack of sophistication.
I'm not going to argue Streep's acting ability which is ranked among the best of all-time. However, in fairness to Lawrence, she turned 26 years old this year without having much training in acting. Streep didn't make her film debut until she was 28 years old with plenty of stage experience and Yale Drama School training. Lawrence might never reach the acting ability of Streep, but with only natural talent and little or no training, she's having a great film career.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Any other thoughts about this film?

Just got back. I thought it was an ok way to spend two hours. Very light entertainment. I wasn't bored nor blown away. The leads were fine, great effects, good story.

I would give it 6.5 out of 10

Mild recommendation.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was braced with some online outrage of the storyline, and upon seeing it, I can see why "eww..." was a common reaction, and it does rob some enjoyment factor from the plight of these early awokened "passengers".

Utterly forgettable film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I saw it today and mostly enjoyed it for the setting and the performances from both Pratt and Lawrence.

The flaws in the movie have more to do with the rather pat way a rather huge ethical issue raised early on is resolved, and some Deus ex Machina plot points.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, the opinions here range from what I would grade as a D to maybe a C+. I'm a fan of sci fi and these two actors, but I think I'll save my money. If I see it in 3D chances are the theater will be under powering their lamps.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ya know I was thinking about this film today again and I realized that the more I reflected on it, the more I liked it. The story has grown on me as well as the performances, especially Pratt's. It's still not a great film, but certainly a good film and worth seeing in a theater. I would bump up my score to 7 out of 10 or a solid [emoji294][emoji294][emoji294]

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
From the trailers, I expected I'd be rushing to see 'Passengers'. But the reviews slowed me down. Just too much consistency in the blah reviews and below 70% audience rating. We find, if a film has poor critic reviews but a 70%+ audience rating, it is generally a film we'll enjoy. But if that audience rating drops below 70%, enjoyment becomes a question mark.

We'll wait for a Blu-ray rental from RedBox.

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To me, the attraction to Jennifer Lawrence is easy. She's young, she's pretty, and she's non-pretentious (both in her roles and in her off-screen promotional interviews). She comes across as someone with whom it would be fun to sit and have a beer with.

I agree, also, about her performance in Winter's Bone. :thumbsup: She has plenty of room for growth and I think most people are expecting that improvement to be realized.

I have pre-ordered the 4k Blu of Passengers (just up on Amazon for $27.99 but with no date). I'm hoping for a price drop or I might switch to the regular Blu due to price. I'm guessing I won't get to the theater to see it. :(

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I plan on seeing this week. Like many here I was all in but let the reviews make me pause. But I want to see this on the large screen.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw "Passengers" the other day. Was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, given the negative reviews I've seen. Is it a great film? Not IMO. But the story is an intriguing one and I liked the sci-fi environment as well. Worth seeing on the big screen.

67/100

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In the end this film will gross over $100 million domestically. Impressive considering it's dubious start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks