What's new

Passengers (2016) (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Reflect on BOTH solely due to the salaries Hollywood suits felt compelled to give them??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reflect on BOTH solely due to the salaries Hollywood suits felt compelled to give them??
Because her name appears as top billing. How does a film that fails at the box office doesn't reflect badly on the top billing star?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
She's a golden child, he's a golden child, it will blow right over without much of a breath wasted on over analyzing it. It won't be an issue at all. Maybe a bit behind the scenes, but it won't cause any public or other outcries when it fails. It will just be a blip on the radar and both will be sitting pretty during the run of the movie and well after.

It won't cause her or him an ounce of grief IMO. Hollywood and the general public will still grovel at their feet and give them everything they ever will need, including more monster box office hits (meaning $$$$) months and years from now. Hell, I bet their salaries just keep climbing after this clunker.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
She's a golden child, he's a golden child, it will blow right over without much of a breath wasted on over analyzing it. It won't be an issue at all. Maybe a bit behind the scenes, but it won't cause any public or other outcries when it fails. It will just be a blip on the radar and both will be sitting pretty during the run of the movie and well after.

It won't cause her or him an ounce of grief IMO. Hollywood and the general public will still grovel at their feet and give them everything they ever will need, including more monster box office hits (meaning $$$$) months and years from now. Hell, I bet their salaries just keep climbing after this clunker.
Well, if you read the post you quoted beforehand in your disagreement, he asked the question whether she will be blame or how it will affect her career going forward. She will be blame to some degree, but one box office failure doesn't mean her future career will be affected in the future as every movie star had box office failure(s) on their resume. Now, if it becomes a trend of failed movies then that's something different. Anyhow, she's young, she'll bounce back if this film fails at box receipts.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Why would anybody blame Jennifer Lawrence for this film? Basically, she has a track record of doing good work. Chris Pratt is good with funny stuff and worked in Guardians of the Galaxy...but in other films he is basically a blank space. Mostly, I think they should have cast somebody other than Pratt to play opposite her.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Problem is, he is the new "it" guy and I'm sure the exec's thought they had the perfect plan/formula and they would be printing money hand over fist. One of those classic Hollywood pairing where they all think, "HOW CAN WE LOSE!!??"

Just like when Brad Pit paired with then wife Angelina in some forgettable flick, Hollywood was sure it was a sure thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I have to see this film first then I might comment further because it might not be the stars that are the problem with this film.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm surprised it's still in theaters.

If I felt compelled to watch it (I'm not) I'd rent it for $3 when it hits the streets in a couple of months and call it good.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The issue I have with Pratt is he just seems like he is not a decent actor. He's good with comedy but in roles where he is not meant to be hilarious all the time he seems like he is just screwing around on the set until somebody lets him do something funny. I mean other actors have gone from being known as comic actors to being good dramatic actors...Tom Hanks...but Pratt does not seem like that kind of guy. It seems like somebody once posted him dressed as Indiana Jones and people went "Oh, he looks good in the suit." and then they started casting him just because he looks good in a costume...but they did not consider he just is a crappy actor.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm surprised it's still in theaters.

If I felt compelled to watch it (I'm not) I'd rent it for $3 when it hits the streets in a couple of months and call it good.
What do you mean "still in theaters"?
It was only released today

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this last night, it was going good but fell apart in the 3rd act. Would have been better as just a rom-com set in space but they shoehorned in a big action sequence. I still marginally recommend this movie though, Pratt and Lawrence were very good in it.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I haven't seen the movie, but whether or not it reflects badly on the leads should be based on their performances rather than the story. If they nail their roles then they deserve their paycheck. It's not their fault if the story itself is shit.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Problem is, he is the new "it" guy and I'm sure the exec's thought they had the perfect plan/formula and they would be printing money hand over fist. One of those classic Hollywood pairing where they all think, "HOW CAN WE LOSE!!??"

Just like when Brad Pit paired with then wife Angelina in some forgettable flick, Hollywood was sure it was a sure thing.

Yes, I think you are correct. All about the formula and they think with those two "stars" the film will perform well. I'm not sure either one of them are able to "sell" a film or "open" it with big numbers based on their presence alone. I mean there are not a lot of actors working right now that can do that. You can really name them on one hand.

I have liked Lawrence in the pictures I have seen her in, which has basically been the David O. Russell stuff and Winter's Bone. I think she does bring something to the table and has a really good presence onscreen in these films. Pratt I enjoyed in Guardians of the Galaxy. That role suited him to a T but seeing him in something like The Magnificent Seven was just awful. He was terrible in it, totally out of place and blown off the screen by Washington and D'Onofrio who were the two best things about that awful remake.

I don't know I don't dislike Chris Pratt I just don't find him to be an interesting actor at all, particularly in any sort of dramatic part.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The more I think about it, this dog may have some legs. Rogue 1 seems to be sold out most showings, kids are out of school, this seems to be the perfect "date" movie that will get both the guys in (for the sci-fi side) and the ladies in mainly for the Pratt side of things as well as they may like the lovey dovey side they tease about on the commercials.

So it could be a winning formula going into a busy holiday movie season.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The more I think about it, this dog may have some legs. Rogue 1 seems to be sold out most showings, kids are out of school, this seems to be the perfect "date" movie that will get both the guys in (for the sci-fi side) and the ladies in mainly for the Pratt side of things as well as they may like the lovey dovey side they tease about on the commercials.

So it could be a winning formula going into a busy holiday movie season.

Yeah, I think you are right. My wife saw the trailer and said she really wants to see it, and she hates both Sci-Fi and Jennifer Lawrence. I was doing a serious WTF when she told me that.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Easy Alf. Remember your prediction about Arrival. [emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw AFTER seeing The Arrival I also feared it wouldn't find an audience. Happy to see it did and is a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks