What's new

Partsexpress DLS 10"? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just curious if this sub is still available. I'd been saving for an SVS, but thanks to BMW's insane part costs my car has sucked down all of the money I put away. And, thanks to my great luck, my old subwoofer died on me a few days ago. I still plan on picking up an SVS in mid to late summer, but I need a fairly cheap replacement now that'll be good enough to just do the job for a while. I was planning on one of the Partsexpress' DLS subs, but I didn't see them last time I was on their site. Are they no longer being sold?

If not, is there any other somewhat decent alternative in the $100-$200 price range? I'd love to get something a little better, but I'm on a poor college student's budget right now. And since I'm using five B&W dm303's all around, bass isn't exactly my speaker's strong point. In other words, I just need something to hold me over for the next few months. Any suggestions?

Dan_Fitz

Grip
That sub from parts express is no more. I am looking for a sub in that price range myself, but I am not sure which one is best or even good enough.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see that I'm not alone. As much as I'd like to get a good subwoofer right now, my car is a lot more important to me and I can't take any chances with it... so the last bit of saved cash I have is going on a good aftermarket warranty, which only leaves me with around $200 for a subwoofer. :frowning:

I've had an old Aiwa subwoofer for almost two years. It was total crap, but at least it did it's job. Now I'm pretty much stuck with nothing.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
There's someone over at audiogon.com selling brand new Energy XL-S8 powered sub for $190.00.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link, Dale. It does look good, although I'm wary of buying something that I don't know anything about. I've never heard of vidsonix, does anyone here have any experience with them?

Sorry if I seem overly critical, but even though I can spend up to around $200, even $100 is a lot of money for me right now.

Unexpected expenses really blow. :frowning:

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
George,

You might want to make a post in the hardware for sale forum saying something like...want to buy DLS-10 or your sub for $100.

See if anyone wants to part with their DLS-10. The only other thing I can think of is trying to find the popular Sony SA-WM40 on clearance somewhere. I'd expect you'll pay around $150 shipped for that on ebay.

Dan_Fitz

Grip
I searched every local store for the sony sa-wm40. No luck. Oh well my roomate got a 8inch acoustic research sub from jandr for about 125 shipped. We have it set up but I dont think its set up right because it sounds very odd. Maybe it just needs some feet spikes since it has no feet at all right now.

Erik M

Auditioning
Check out the new Sony SA-WM500 12" 150Watt sub. It replaced the SA-WM40 this year, and runs as low as $135 at Ebay and close to that on other etailers. Here is one at $139 I found:
http://www.mandalaynet.com/newsonsaw150.html .
You should do some research to find out if it is getting decent reviews, but I did see one at my local best buy and it looked pretty well put together. It wasn't hooked up so
I couldn't hear it.

jeff_str

Auditioning
That Vidsonix deal looks mighty interesting. Looks like a possible runner-up to the DLS. I hope someone takes the plunge and tests it out! Makes a pretty bold statement in their info page saying it will outperform a similarly priced Sony, Velodyne, or JBL.

Whose first?

--jeff_str

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I have Vidsonix stage monitors and bookshelf speakers and I can tell you they are great for the price. Their website shows a few good reviews for the sub. They are a fairly new company but I can attest to the quality and sound being fantastic for the price. Hope this helps.

JohnKim

Grip
i'd also reccomend the audiosource sw-fifteen/15 you can check out the mods that you need to do to it at audioreview.com
http://audioreview.com/Subwoofers/Au...1_2741crx.aspx

i have it, paid $140 shipped for it at ebay new

for home theater... this thing can't be beat for great low end reinforcement especially with the impact a 15" driver gives

for audio, it is not as detailed, and agile a driver as others like the energy s8.2 etc etc, but you can remedy this with an upgrade path of swapping in a tempest of dayton dvc which would give you a nice sub for under $300

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't recommend swapping out the driver for a Tempest or the DVC 15. The SW15 enclosure is a bit small to use with either of these drivers. At least not in ported configuration. Both drivers require lots of port area to perform well. The DVC would work well in that enclosure if you seal the port though.

Steve>JF

Agent
Has anyone else had any experience with Vidsonix speakers? I went to their website and they seem to have some curiously low prices on some smaller satellite, bookshelf, and center channel speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks