What's new

Partsexpress Budget Sub (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I haven't visited the Sub section of the forum in a while, and I was wondering if PartsExpress ever came back with another budget sub like the one everyone used to talk about. Let us know.

GregAV

Agent
They did, it's now the #300-632. Everyone that bought one seems quite satisfied with the "bang for the buck" (including me.)

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Without a doubt, I am quite amazed at the quality of this sub for $130....It really completes the perfect family room theater for me and competes really well with the expensive Velodyne I have in the dedicated theater....

Really surprised, impressed by this sub....

Troy S

Agent
Hey Dave-
Does this sub supply good strong bass for HT? I am really partial to strong bass and especially for HT.

GregAV

Agent
Sorry Troy, considering your requirement of "floorshaking bass" and the open 20'x18'capeted room with high ceiling - the little Dayton is overmatched.

At the $300 dollar mark you posted in your other thread, the answers you were given seem spot on.

1. Nope - not at $300.
2. Build your own. At about the $300 dollar mark you should be able to build a sub that meets your expectations.

If you dont want to build, save your cash till you can afford the SVS you mentioned. Or if you want something extremely nice, and being sold relativly cheaply - check out steve nn 's custom sub.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Good luck,
Greg

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
GregAV what a nice plug. I know that was not your intention but still! I see posts all the time> What is the best sub for X amount of dollars and I just have to :rolleyes..

Troy S

Agent
Thanks for the additional info Greg. As I stated in that other thread, I didn't figure it was possible, but since I am new to this I thought I would ask for suggestions. I also wasn't asking for the "best sub for $$$", rather if it were possible to get the sound I am looking for at that price point. I am not interested in building so apparently I will be saving my money.

Again, thanks for the help.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
yes....this isnt a monster so to speak....but it is good for certain applications - my kids & wife dont really want the walls to shake all the time, but I like to feel a chest thump and I can get chest thumping bass from this without offending....

In short, in my family room application I am using in a situation where you can "talk over" the movie/music - it works quite well for that, I am not sure I will ever run it to reference levels or even close - so I wont be able to help there....

You can feel the bottom from this sub - thats for sure...

If you had intentions of getting a sub and upgrading (or what I did, eventually build a second HT) then its very worthwhile at that price...
If you are looking for the be-all, end-all then $ave...

Troy S

Agent
Thanks again, Dave. I just may have to give it a try. Sounds like it may be something to get me going and eventually move it to the kid's tv room and upgrade.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Troy

At it's "price point" there is nothing that will out perform it for quailty of bass and extension. Corner load it to get all the "free" room gain possible. Tweek with placement from their.

An excellent starter bass rig that can be used somewhere else in the house once one has the funds to upgade to a more capable unit.

Out of your price range I know, but
I'll also mention again the link that Greg provided. This is a serious piece of bass equipment. That sub is certainy capable of re-aranging your rooms furniture and at an excellent price to boot. (Amp is required)

Best of luck if you go with the Tiny Mighty, I'm sure it will fill the bill for awhile for you.

Regards
Geoff

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Something I should clarify also is that when I used the :rolleyes:in my previous post I was alluding to my frustration at not being able to jump into a Thread and recommend the AV15 I have for sale knowing how it would blow away many-most-all subs up to a certain price point. Well I could recommend but discretion/prudence dictates that I shouldn't...... Anyway the Question in context> "What is the best sub for X amount of $$" is a very valid question imo and I am sorry if I came across in a way that did not truly represent what I was trying to express.

I bought the previous model Tiny Mighty/DLS a while back to compare it to the Sony WM-40 and imo it faired out very well. I would consider it a better sub than the Sony myself. Hopefully they have the Auto function all cleared up now with their new offering and their new offering performs as well as their first model. From what Dave states and other considerations, I think it does. If a guy bought dual, he would still come in well under $300 with shipping factored in. A very good choice imo if $300 were my limit in finances.

When I was finished with the DLS it was a very easy piece of gear to sell also. :emoji_thumbsup:

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I'm quite happy with the Dayton 10".

On the other hand, I think I might have to go against the general consensus and say that, at higher levels, this sub can definitely put out a fair amount of bass for a large room. I recently moved my home theater into a VERY large family room (22' x 23', although the area the home theater provides sound to is significantly smaller) and I'm happy with the results. At moderate levels there's quite a bit of vibration in the walls and furniture without much apparent boominess. It's certainly not ready to compete with $400-$500 subs, but I'll be holding onto this until I can afford an SVS.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I've been moving this thing around one inch at a time, for the last month and never quite happy with it's performance. Then just when I thought that's all the sub's got bingo it's doing a much better job now.
I'm tempted now to open it up and try the polyfill mod just to see if it tightens it up some more.

I have run both DLS Subs in my H/T. 13'x13' 7' ceiling and on a slab w/carpet & under pad. The original forward fire rear port was much tighter. The new down firing front port #300-632 is so much more "boomy." Both were used in the same good corner, but no matter how I place the new "632" it is no where near as tight but both were plenty powerful, in my application anyway. Soooo, I'm quietly waiting on my SVS PB1-ISD. Quietly. Mike

John:Tam

Auditioning
A quick question about setting up this DLS sub:

Since the knob for the crossover setting ranges from 40-120, how would I set it to 80? Do I just eyeball it or is there a more precise way?

Thanks.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
you should have the crossover all the way open and set the receiver to do the management....The receiver should have a setting for 80hz as the crossover setting....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks