partsexpress 250W amp depth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Shelton, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Eric Shelton

Eric Shelton Auditioning

I'm building a Tempest-based sub based on the ported 194L design. I haven't received the driver or amp yet, but I'm assembling the enclosure this weekend. I'm planning on mounting the plate amp into the center back side of the cabinet. I know from the online specs that I need to cut a 9x9.25" hole in the back wall for the amp, but I also need to make a cut in one of the braces to accommodate any of the amp that recesses into the cabinet.

Since many of you seem to have used the partsexpress 250W amp in your subs, could anyone tell me what the depth of the portion that extends into the cabinet is? I'd hate to wait on assembling the cabinet just because of this one cut.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Welcome to the Forum! Your new addiction!
    Eric, I just measured my PE 250W amp, and from the rubber gasket around the amp to the deepest part of the amp was ~3.25inches. That's with the amp out of the enclosure. So just subtract whatever thickness of your MDF or whatever you use to figure out how deep it will actually extend into your enclosure.
    Sorry if it doesn't make any sense. It's too late for a good description! [​IMG]

3. Eric Shelton

Eric Shelton Auditioning

Thanks! That was exactly the information that I needed.

Addiction would be the correct word to use. At the time that I planned the enclosure and ordered the parts I didn't quite realize just how large this was going to be - a 15" subwoofer is not a small thing. Also, cabinetry without a table saw is a real pain - difficult to get sides that are all consistently cut to the same size. But there's no going back now! I just have to figure out where to put a sub the size of a dishwasher in my apartment.

Buy hey, now I can simulate earthquakes (as if the real ones aren't enough)!