Parts express

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Gib, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Dave_Gib

Dave_Gib Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I'm new here, I've done more searching than posting. Anyways I'm done buying equipment for my car so now it's time for my house.
    I don't have much of a room for my home theatre, it's wider than it is long, and no real reflecting surfaces for THX style rear speakers.
    I am thinking about building 5 speakers for my odd little theater. Front, rears and center.
    I live in Dayton Ohio, so parts express is about 5 minutes from my house. That's probably where I'll go. www.partsexpress.com
    I have a kenwood reciever right now that supposedly does 100 x 5 at @ 8 ohms. I have a wimpy powered sub right now, but I can take care of that [​IMG]
    I'm looking to spend no more than $500 for all the speakers and crossovers, what would you people recommend?
    Is this post in the right place? I plan to ask pretty detailed questions once I get some speaker/crossover suggestions.
    Thanks in advance, I hate being a newbie

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
  3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

IMO, Designing your own speaker is not easy and it will take some serious time and devotion to create a good loudspeaker. Even when given an instruction manual to make a crossover, it can still be a bit confusing.

I'd get one of parts express's 5 speaker kits, I think the DIY one they had was about $800 though. If you go with a kit, all you have to do is follow the directions and you end up with a speaker that you know will sound right.

Of course there are other brand names out there but not many DIY kits for 5 speakers come to mind that will be under $500.

5. Dave_Gib

Dave_Gib Stunt Coordinator