What's new

Parts Express Titanic MkIII 15" or Adrie Tempest? $300 sub: (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I am toying with the idea of building a ~$300 sub eventually, and am looking at about $150 for a driver and $150 for the cabinet.

Just as a general guide, what would be the way to go as far as a box and driver? If it is 4 ohms, I will have about 1,100 watts at my disposal, so a sealed box wouldn't be an issue (from the power prespective.)

However, for $300, what would be the most bang for my buck, provided I already have a EQ and 1,100 watts to use?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Based on my previous experience with the Parts Express 15" DVC driver, I'll give the nod to the Titanic.

I don't think you'll get anywhere near the $150 that you are budgeting for your cabinet - unless, you plan on using some exotic veneers.

Also, keep in mind that the Titanic III is currently priced at $198. The 12" Titanic III is $159.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Yes, $200, not $150, but $50 is nothing compared to how much money I have spent on this hobby :frowning: (but I really mean :D )

What about a box? I want a lot of output (room is sealed, and is 13' X 13'5 X 9' - 1580 cu. ft.), but deep bass is more important, so what would be my best bet as far as a box goes?

Thanks!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Well, $50 and $300 are just a 'bit' different, and to take advantage of 'the' woofer would probably require more work than I am willing to put out (bigger, stronger cabinet, more issues with perfect tuning, etc.)

I am just a poor 18 year old college kid that works at Target (I laught at the stereo's we have many times a day) to pay for my car and hobbies. I can easily justify $50, but $300 is a little much ;)

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Kenneth,

With that kind of wattage in the room you describe, you're going to get a tremendous amount of bass. I drive a sealed Tempest in a far bigger room with a 250W plate amp, which I have to keep turning down!

A nice thing about the Tempest is that the Adire site has white papers describing six different alignments (3 sealed, 3 ported) with detailed plans, charts and giving some idea of the advantages of each. I doubt that many have heard them all (particularly with the same system and in the same room). I studied them all and picked the "flavor" that I thought would suit me best (sealed mid-Q), influenced in part by the flexibility, the fact that the box was relatively small, and the impression that sealed designs are more forgiving.

The good news is, you probably can't go wrong. Whichever driver you use, you're going to get a great sub for a modest investment.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Bob:

With my 180 watt (the 250 watt PE plate amp runs 180 watts at 8 ohms) plate amp, I was not able to acheive the levels I wanted, and according to posts I made on some forums, the lack of power was causing issues with the woofers (as in, I was told that the woofers would be moving, and the amp was not able to control them, causing flabby, weak bass - this was because the amp did not have enought current at 8 ohms to do its job, and 2, 15" woofers with big VC's was too much for it.)

Reguarless, there is no way to kill these woofers with too much power (peak power is 4800 watts per woofer...), but overexcursion and distortion sure would.

Also, if I get/build another passive sub, it might really want a lot of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks