Parts express sub box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredV, Jan 21, 2003.

1. FredV

FredV Agent

RE: their 3 cu. ft. DIY box --- has anyone converted this into a down-firing sub? Should work, right?
    Also, what is the thickness of the side walls/top (the site does not specify)?

2. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=9385&DID=7

It tells you. It's 1" mdf all around and also for the bracing. 17 3/4 inside 19 3/4 outside. 2" difference, and 2 sides so 1" mdf on the sides.

As for the downfiring. I guess it should work. They were meant for the 12" dayton driver which is a front firing design. I'm not sure if the cutout for the plate am is there already. If it is, it will be opposite the driver hole, which means if you do down firing the amp will be on top, which is probably not what you want. You might want to call them and ask on that

3. FredV

FredV Agent

Thanks; actually, I'm planning to build a passive sub;
    was also thinking of substituting the Stryke Audio AV-12 driver.

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

The PE box only has the hole cut for the driver, so using it in down-firing mode would work just fine. This thing is hell-for-stout - my cousin bought the pre-assembled version and it must have weighed 50-60 lbs empty. The center brace is massive - you shouldn't worry about wall flex with this bad boy.

I've considered getting one for use with the Adire DPL12 driver - anyone used one of these in a sealed box yet?

Peter