Parts express plate amps on sale

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by eric nyhof, Nov 8, 2004.

1. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

It looks like both the big sub amps (500W and 1000W) are on sale for 250 and 350 respectively.

Looks like its time to get started on that Thunder 12.3 I've been thinking about for a while

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Get cracking. If you have an AV12 driver for it, it goes really well with the 500w amplifier. That is what I myself have. The bass it makes is amazing for a box of its size. The AV12 is one clean-sounding driver. If you don't yet have the AV12, wait until this Christmas when the AV12s are slated to be back in production, only this time they're all hand-built by John J himself.

3. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

Eric, dude you totally are awesome. Thanks for the heads up!!! To bad I already own an SVS sub and i love it!

4. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Dude, I am so jealous of your svs. They are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

5. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I'd take a DIY over an SVS any day of the week. More bang for your buck with DIY.

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I agree. I built the functional equivalent of a PB12-Plus for $550. The cool thing about deep-tuned passive radiator systems is that their group delay is high at the tuning frequency, but lower than a vented box everywhere else (due to the high mass of the passive radiators), and as a result you get a sound somewhere between a vented and sealed sub at music-type frequencies, and the raw power of a ported sub down at home theater frequencies. And within that price I was able to pull off an oak veneered top and solid oak trim, plus three fabric grilles to cover the woofer and passive radiators. The AV12 is very close to the dB-12+ driver used by SVS. It just has a slightly longer excursion, spaced dual spiders (instead of two spiders connected together) and a cast frame.