Parts Express"Little Wonder"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by charles_w, Sep 23, 2002.

1. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

A few weeks ago I recieved an email flyer from Parts Express for a speaker kit that I think was called the Little Wonder. I was thinking of making a satelite system for my daughter using these but I lost the email and can't find it on the web site. Does anyone have any information on this kit?

Thanks,
    Lee

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

4. charles_w

Thomas and Jon,
    Thanks for the response, Itlooks like I'm a little to late [​IMG]
    Lee

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Charles, you might consider this SCH kit for $70:
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B11.htm
    The crossovers are pre-built and despite the low power-handling warning, I'd bet it will play plenty loud. I just finished a pair of the cabinets for a neighbor and after he paints them I'll install the drivers. SCH kits are excellent value.

6. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

Holy Geez, Hank... your reply prompted me to look into SCH towers, and I see that for $180 a pair, you can get what appears to be a heck of a great speaker. Are these the towers you use? The center channel looks "difficult", though. There isn't one single round speaker cutout on it. All those dang ol' crazy shapes instead. I wonder if it would be a stupid idea to just build a 5th tower and put it on its side. I could finish these in the same way that I finished the subwoofer, assuming that you can dye speaker grille material (or find it in the right color).

I need to stop thinking about spending more money. BAAAD idea. At least for now. Never hurts to formulate a plan for the future, though!

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

The 5.25" drivers in the SCH center are the same round ones used in the shielded bookshelf speaker. I believe for about $13 or so you can buy the baffle precut for the center channel. I've got one of the center kits and that's what I did.

The towers are the generation before Hank's and use a different tweeter. I'll be building a pair of them in the near future along with the center and two pairs of the bookshelfs.

Brian

8. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

Oh, you're right. I had the browser open to the K05B11 when I wrote that reply. Oops. But you're right... with the baffle pre-cut for such a great price, it doesn't really matter how the drivers are shaped. *drool*
    I'm bordering on threadjacking now, so I'll shut up and search the archives. [​IMG]

9. Hank Frankenberg

Jeff, my towers you saw are SCH towers and do have a different tweeter than the current version, but they have the same very nice 8" woofer. My center channel is also SCH. Yes, bad idea to build a third tower and lay it on its side. Buy the center channel kit and buy the front baffle already cut out, OR have a local speaker cabinet cool guy build it for you at an outrageous price[​IMG]
    You are now hooked. I told you after you got started on a sonosub, that there is no turning back. Prepare to spend, but, if you have a WAF challenge, remember you will save thousands over the years [​IMG]

10. charles_w

Hank,

Thank's for the link those look like a heck of deal for $70.00 a pair. I just ordered a pair to build for my daughters room.

Thanks,
    Lee

11. Hank Frankenberg

Lee: Enjoy. I try to spread the word about SCH because, #1, they're nice guys who #2, offer the best value I've seen in DIY speakers.

12. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

SCH rocks! quick and cheap shipping....great products...easy to follow instructions

13. charles_w

Hank,
    Have you built or heard the monitors? The price is right I'm curios how they sound.
    The problem I see with speaker building is it's so much fun and addicting, that I want to build more than I can use[​IMG] (guess I'll have to start giving them away). If I make the trip to the Texas DIY and see the Alphas I'll really be in trouble!
    Thaks,
    Lee

14. Hank Frankenberg

Charles, I built 5 of the previous generation of their higher-priced monitors and they were great sounding for the money! I sold a pair to a bud in California, and he was just awed. I built a pair of the previous generation of their towers and the added low end extension makes them just awesome. I also built their center channel, which is a proper CC design.
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
    The new entry-level monitor cabinets I built are at the neighbors so he can paint them his choice of colors, so I haven't installed the drivers yet.

15. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

how loud do the k05b11s go without distorting?....like..a rough...xxdb at 1 meter...

16. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

I can also recommend the SCH kits. I have the higher priced monitors, and the center, and they sound great, especially for the money! I did buy all the speakers with the precut grills, so I didn't have to mess with the tweeter cutout.

I have another pair of the monitors ready to build for my rear surrounds, then I'll have SCH all the way around in my home theater!

Wes

17. Hank Frankenberg

Jason, loud enough for the poeple I've built them for, and for me, before I built the towers. Just call them and ask -they're nice guys and will answer your questions.