What's new

Parts Express, great prices, horrible shipping fees (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I just bought a roll of 100' roll of 12ga speaker wire. The unit price was ~$30, after shipping the order came to ~$40. Yes, $10 shipping/handling on a simple spindle of wire...

EDIT:

I'll give this to them, though, they sure ship orders fast, mine was shipped 3 hours after I placed it. However, anyone know why a 100' spindle of speaker wire would weigh 9.0lbs? (as UPS claims my package weights)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm amazed that it's only 9 lbs. 12 AWG speaker wire is really heavy. Wait until you see how big a 100 ft. spool of it is.
Wait until you have ammo shipped: all that lead is really heavy. Expect 40% of the ammo cost to be added on as shipping.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I guess I don't have any basis for comparison, as I've never seen 12ga wire in person...

Does anyone know if they go "per pound" or per order. If I would have known their shipping was so high I would have ordered two spools, and the bananas plugs I wanted in one fell swoop.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Remember, UPS also has "fuel surcharges" in place. Also, they tack on another $1.00 to $1.50 for deliveries to residential addresses. Add in a box (I just bought a box today @ Office Depot for $2.60) and you'll quickly see how shipping can add up to $10.00.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
partsexpress was great on the cables I ordered from them. The shipping was very reasonable, although cables don't weigh all that much....

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
After getting the wire I completely understand why shipping costs so much, that is one big hunk of copper :) I should update this and say that because of the service and promptness I got from Parts Express the first time I have since ordered from them again and gotten the same quick service. Great store!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Thanks for the update. Yesterday, I purchased 110' of in-wall 12 gauge speaker wire at Home Depot. I also realized the weight of my purchase while carrying it to my car - and this didn't even include a spool since it was coiled up. If you have a Home Depot store close by, you might consider them for future speaker wire purchases - provided you don't need any Monster cable. I found the 12 gauge in-wall wire at the 3rd store I visited - the first two didn't stock it. I only paid $22.00 (+ tax) for 110' of cable made by Carol. This was only .20 a foot.

During my search for banana plugs to complete the task of making my speaker cables, I came across a vendor (on-line) who had 14 of the banana plugs that I needed. The price for all of them was attractive - ~$16.00, but when I added the items to my shopping cart, the shipping was a whopping $83.00 for UPS Ground and it only went up from there depending on the other upgraded shipping options. Clearly, this vendor didn't allow for a discount on the shipping for multiple items, but added the same shipping charge ($12.00 or so to the 7 pairs of plugs). There are some vendors that one needs to clearly avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks