What's new

Parts Express Does It Again-Sub Amp Sale (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Thanks for sharing, I was going to order that same amp for my tempest soon.

edit: 04/29/02 At 6:00 PM Eastern Time!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly this model is shipping WITHOUT the bass boost (where R26=56Kohms and R27=120Kohms), but if you wanted to check, if if had the bass boost, the R26=18Kohms, R27=180Kohms.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Parts Express is going to send me to the poor house. That's another $100 they've finessed out of my pocket. Darn you, PE!

Eduardo

Agent
Just started building my Sonosub and how lucky was I to get my amp on sale :D . The white papers of the Amp show you how to add the bass boost.
Is the bass boost significant enough to mod the amp?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Just for everyone's benefit, I believe that PE now ships these amps standard without any boost. And even if there still is boost, simply state in the comments when you place your order that you want it removed.

I did this several months ago (before they started shipping without the boost) and they removed the boost at no extra charge. The technician even included his business card stating that he had done the mod.

Brian

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know the Fc of the rumble filter with the R26=56Kohms, R27=120Kohms no boost configuration? I'm currently using R26=50Kohms, R27=150Kohms, which results in a Fc=16Hz, but it's too low to protect the driver on hideously low bass material.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Okay, I cancelled my order for the same basic amp from adireaudio.com and got this one. The .pdf file does say that the default resistor setting is for NO bass boost, but I am concerned with sub-sonic bass hurting my woofer. I assume NO boost also has NO sub-sonic filter? I think the Aidre version of the amp has a 1 dB boost. I may go for that. Now, the Shiva is backorder a couple of weeks. Is the Dayton 12" Titantic just as good? My box is approx 3.5 cubic ft. (minus volume of port, driver and amp) w/ a 17" x 4" diameter port.

thanks

Jim

Michael Do

Agent
If you disable the bass boost then the subsonic filter is also defeated. I have a 1dB boost at 31-35Hz with an FC 21 to protect the driver.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Michael, is your choice for resistor/config doing the job in protecting the driver? I may also do the R26=39K, R27=150K to get that config (just means swapping out the R26 resistor for me).

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered this amp (thanks for the heads up Ben) and was wondering if I should use a bass boost in my application, a sealed Maelstrom of just over 140 litres (net).

Does the bass boost implement subsonic filtering? If so, how?

Thank you for your responses,

-JohnA

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The "bass boost" circuit is really a hi-pass filter with Q > 0.7 So the frequency response is pretty flat until you get near the boost frequency. At that point theres a hump in the response that boosts a small range of frequencies. Below that it falls off pretty quickly. I haven't seen the schematics but I'm guessing its 2nd order so that's a 12dB/octave slope that filters out the reeeally low stuff.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Awe man, way cheaper than the AVA250 I bought :frowning: Now I wanna do another sub :D
Wow, my 300th post, I wanna be a post whore, hahaha

Eduardo

Agent
Would the bass boost Mod be good for a First time DIYer? Or will the AMP be ok for my Shiva Sonosub?

Users who are viewing this thread