What's new

Parts Express DLS 10 or New Velodyne VX10 (1 Viewer)

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
The Velodyne costs more ($169.97) but commands consideration based on the Velodyne name. I am surprised about a offering from Velodyne in this price range. I found some information on the VX10 at 6th Avenue Electronics:

Velodyne VX10

No information on the VX10 can be found yet on the Velodyne website so I called Velodyne support. I talked to a designer and tester who had the sub in his home for 2 months. He was against building this sub in the beginning but was asked to build a sub to compete with the $200 subs offered at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

The sub is indeed brand new (no literature yet) and looks like it will be carried by Circuit City (not sure of others). Even though I cannot find the info at 6th Avenue, I was told the sub does have a crossover bypass. The sub is also magnetically shielded.

I am curious as to how this sub will compare to the DLS 10 and Sony WM-40.

Mike

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Personally I would go for the DLS. The specs are better (30-160 Hz vs. 36Hz - 120Hz) and the DLS is a proven winner whereas the Velodyne in an unknown right now. It is really hard to make a valid comparison without being able to hear the Velodyne. See if you can find someone that has a DLS to audition and then see if you can order the Velodyne with an option to return it if you don't like what you hear.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
hmm...same weight as the DLS...but...the amp doesn't seem to be all that powerful...150 watts dynamic...75 watts power consumption....so it's probably 50 watts RMS at best...as for frequency response...the DLS just edges out the velodyne going by the specs at 6ave.com

i'd take the DLS just from the spec comparison

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Is this the DLS you are referring to?

If so I think that a downfiring sub sounds better. Anyone else experience this to?

Jim Williams

Second Unit
For a really good discussion of the DLS 10 take a look at this past thread. You can see that the DLS 10 is highly regarded here and is the main reason why I ordered one. They have been on back order for over a month.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Mmmm.
He was against building this sub in the beginning
That in itself doesn't sound too good. Steve nn, a member here, owns two Velos and the DLS. Hopefully he'll come around with some input for you. As far as the DLS 10 is concerned, I would do a search and look for a rather long thread that is sure to resurface pretty soon. I own the DLS 10 and think it's a great little sub...but read the thread. As for the down vs. front firing- my understanding is that it's not an issue.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Your right Jose in stating down versus forward firing. You know I was playing around with the Mighty Little DLS the other day watching Gladiator in DTS at -17. I decided to move it closer to the wall in the corner under the corner table. Whew! I just have such a hard time thinking what this thing can do for the $$$. "Strength and Honor".__
________________________________>>>
PS. I did switch back over to the Vel's though.:D

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Ok, Steve. Now imagine one of your Velos' as being down sized to a 10" and having a less powerful amp- let's say 75 W, and a 36Hz - 120Hz spec. Ouch! The DLS or that little Velo that pained the designer so much in the first place?

Mmmm. I'm guessing "Tiny mighty" wins again- best $100 I've ever spent.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I definitely would bet on the DLS Jose. I am not going to go buy the Velo you speak of and see though. I am going to do a test on the DLS against the SVS PB2-PLUS next. Do you think the 2Plus is up to the Mighty Little DLS? I don't Know.

;)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I can't believe the wife hasn't thrown you out :D

Michael,
Although we don't really know this Velo you speak of, I think you will get more bang for your buck with the DLS 10.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

That's a pretty general statement. What is it about a downfiring sub that makes it superior to a sub who's driver fires in some other direction?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to let us know how the Velo does for you if you go in that direction. I took a trip over there to take a look and it and it does look intriguing. I do not care for the 36 tune though. Michael are you 50% HT 50% music or 75% in one direction or so?

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Brian Bunge,

Reason how I say this is due to tighter air enclosure. I don’t know if its the same facts as a car audio SUBS and custom boxes. But I find it that sometimes/ mostly all the time if a SUB does not need allot of cubic inches of space you can make an smaller box then in a trunk can be tighter and allow much more bass then in a bigger trunks of vehicles (umm say like an Honda civic trunk versus an caddy's trunk).

I ran some tests on a down firing and an open direction sub boxes/woofers and there is a sound difference. Unlike the down firing I see that an open direction sub like the DLS can bottom out faster then an down firing (due to opn air flow),, plus it keeps the kids from poking at the middle of the woofer cones (downfiring subs) ;) .

I like down firing subs more then an open directional sub. But I am sure a directional sub can sound extremely good if it faces a wall and a corner though, but then again,, I see that there is really no 10" downfiring sub that cost 99.00 also. So price can be the question on this one?
:confused:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Unlike the down firing I see that an open direction sub like the DLS can bottom out faster then an down firing
A sub bottoming is mostly related to the INTERNAL volume of the sub acting as a restoring force to the driver, the SPL level trying to be reached and the frequency to be played. And of course the excursion of the driver. Now, I've exchanged emails with a few driver designers about driver configuration and they do say that aiming a driver down MAY add about .5-1mm of excursion (and aiming it up may lower excursion by a small amount) but this small difference would hardly be noticeable and even less likely to be measurable.

Odds are that if you hear a difference, the difference is either in the subwoofers alignment or in the installation.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
If you put the same exact sub in both vehicles the sub will perform exactly the same. In the same cabinet with the same amp and the same wiring, the driver will still move the same way. That is not to say the response will be the same
Totally agree! :emoji_thumbsup: Now an open directional sub like the DLS you have to move it around to figure out what direction and area it will sound best at. Unlike an Down firing sub its already hitting a wall (which is the floor for a bass reflex). You have to play around more with an directional subwoofer to figure out where it best works at either upside-down or facing an wall or hitting an corner...etc.

I personally IMHO likes the down firing sub and will always get that one before an directional sub ;) . Not saying there bad, but the stores I heard them at I was not interested in buying one.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Totally agree! Now an open directional sub like the DLS you have to move it around to figure out what direction and area it will sound best at. Unlike an Down firing sub its already hitting a wall (which is the floor for a bass reflex). You have to play around more with an directional subwoofer to figure out where it best works at either upside-down or facing an wall or hitting an corner...etc.
This doesn't make any sense. Any sub will require careful placement and a downfiring sub will have the same issues with peaks and nulls as any other sub. Also, the term "bass reflex" refers to a ported speaker. A sealed speaker is an acoustic suspension.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I was playing around again and watched U571 in DTS at -20. That little DLS is a down right stomper. It sounds very good in what it does to. I should get another. This way the two would only be idling along. If it had a little more extension they would be my main subs posibly? There is not much though that the DLS misses. I bet it has a tune to 28 or so?? I really like the sound and the impact of the 10" driver loaded in the corner next to seating. If I put it wher my Vel's were it would not be enough. It is such a leaky corner and my HT is 24X12 with 10' ceiling. I would not miss the rare extension scenes if it were not that I knew better from using the Vel's. This DLS is just a darn right killer sub for $99.80 ... I can get 106 db out of it not corrected in that position and it sounds OK doing it. IMO that is quit allot for the $$$ would you not say? I am starting to rant. Sorry I get a little wound up thinking of what this DLS thing can do.;)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I personally IMHO likes the down firing sub and will always get that one before an directional sub
I guess you also missed my point that there is NO DIFFERENCE. Take that "down firing sub" and rotate it. Now it is a "directional sub" as you like to put it. So now you'll not like the sub that you just did like. Your logic has a lot of holes, Mike. I suggest you do some research to patch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks