Parts Express Amp w/ 1 or 2 15" DVC Dayton's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Pretty much says it all,

I understand that if ran 2 together, they would have to be ran in series giving 8Ohms, correct? I will then end up with 175w RMS going into the subs.

With one driver I would obviously have 250w RMS.

Which would yield clearer, less distorted, punchier bass?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. punchier bass is a pure function of alignment.

I wouldn't series drivers because it would cause the drivers to see the other drivers inductance and resistance...this messes things up to put it bluntly.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

"Punchier bass is a pure function of alignment"
    Don't forget the room [​IMG]
    The DVC has two voice coils so you can decide if you want one sub to be 4 ohms, 8ohms, or 16ohms.
    From 1 meter away:
    250w into 1 4 ohm DVC = 114 db
    If you don't want series you could go parallel:
    250w into 2 DVCs (8 ohm + 8 ohm parallel = 4 ohms) = 114-117 db
    So the estimated difference in loudness is going to be 3 decibels max if my calculation was correct.

4. 8 ohms if you use only one voice coil. doing so, you loose power handling. Also, the 1w1m will drop 3db, and the 2.83v will drop according to the new Re (estimate about 6db)

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Also keep in mind that unless you are using a really big enclosure 250W won't drive a single DVC15" or Tempest to it's limits. And even with the biggest enclosure sizes that should be used for these drivers, 250W will only get you a few mm past the drivers' linear limits with ported or passive radiator enclosures (well except below tuning) and sealed will be fine until the last octave (but nothing a rumble filter can't take care of).

6. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Funny I am using 2 of there 250 what deals and the house shakes, I am running them at 8 ohms as I have #4 10" dayton Drivers and they do get hot! I cant imagine them at 4 ohms.. but they do the job for me.. :=0

I would guess I get about 130 DB output as it is close to my Van system with 2 twelves, I used to do those SPL contests way back and had enough bass in my time!!! All I need now is to fell it and not make my hair blow, or loose my breath....lol

Will

7. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

RE: Adam O .. just series the 2 subs, the amps run HOT..
    and sound fine, @ 4 OHMS I bet you get less damping factor higher distortion and a looser bass output..

Will

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer