What's new

Parts Express 12" DVC subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Is the parts express DVC 12" subwoofer comparable to the Adire Audio Shiva.
They both have 15mm of x-max they both have kevlar/paper cones.

Julian Data

Second Unit
They are somewhat comparable to one another although the PE can use a "slightly" smaller enclosure.
------------------

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler....
Way back, the Shiva driver was on backorder. I couldn't wait, and decided to go with the PE 12" DVC driver. I do not regret it making this purchase. I am very happy with the performance of this driver, my Sonosub never fails to amaze me.
Good Luck!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
quote: ...although the PE can use a "slightly" smaller enclosure.[/quote]
I am not sure that the word "slightly" is the appropriate word here, the word "tremendous" will be a better fit.
The Shiva can work very good at a sealed 3 c/f enclosure, giving a F3 of ~ 30hz. The PE DVC, on the other hand, work at its best at ~ 1.2 c/f enclosure (when sealed), and its F3 in this enclosure is ~ 40hz. As you can see, the difference between these drivers is quite dramatic.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: The Shiva can work very good at a sealed 3 c/f enclosure, giving a F3 of ~ 30hz. The PE DVC, on the other hand, work at its best at ~ 1.2 c/f enclosure (when sealed), and its F3 in this enclosure is ~ 40hz. As you can see, the difference between these drivers is quite dramatic. [/quote]
It's important to model the drivers the same way when specifying the F3 of a box. When each is placed in a Q=0.7 enclosure (2 ft.3, for Shiva, 1.2 ft.3 for PE), they each achieve an anechoic F3 of approximately 40Hz (slightly higher for PE, maybe).
However, when a typical second-order low-pass filter with an Fc of 80Hz is applied, as Adire does in their Shiva models, it brings the F3 of each down to about 32Hz, which will be considerably lower in-room. Aside from required box size, not such a dramatic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks