Parts Express 1000 watt plate amp question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andrew Pratt, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have one of these currently installed in a 40L sealed sub with a blueprint 1203 driver and I'm noticing that although the PE site says its amp is sealed it really isn't as I can feel air leaking though the EQ knobs and around the power switch...has anyone else noticed this with their PE amp? If so was it easy to fix?

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

That's something about the 500 and 1000 watt amps I never really cared for: The plastic covering is very flimsy, and with that much power to a sealed 1203, you'll get that plastic covering flexing in no time. That is why on my new sub I am mounting the 500 watt plate amp on the exterior, with a removable MDF "rack" if I ever decide to step up to a pro 700W amp or something. Then I just have to fill the screw holes with wood filler and I will be good to go. The plastic covering on that 1000w amp really was never meant to take that kind of abuse. The redeeming characteristic of the 500w and 1000w amps even in the face of all these engineering mistakes is all that really robust circuitry. That amplifier features Bob Carver's Tracking Downconverter power supply, which I imagine is pretty cool.