Partion problem - help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kevin T, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have a maxtor 160gb but it only registers as 127gb. i'm using windows xp sp2 and my mobo / bios supports larger hard drives. i was looking under the administrative tools / disk management settings and noticed that i have 24.68gb unallocated. i would like to lump this amount in with the other 127.99gb to get my hd up to full capacity. however, i'm not terribly sure how to do it and i definitely do not want to reformat so that is out of the question. i've heard of partition magic by symantec, but i don't want to purchase a program for a one time use / fix. is there any freeware out there that could help me retrive my unallocated 24.68gb's? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

kevin t

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

PartitionMagic is pretty much the "standard" for this type of software. I don't know of any freeware programs to do this. You might look on Ebay for an old version of PM, but make sure it supports the NTFS file system.

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

qt parted or just parted it can resize ntfs and fat its gnu freeware

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

QtParted purports to resize NTFS; regular GNU Parted does not. I would certainly backup anything critical.