Partial solution to Firefox crashes-Adblock!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed recently that Firefox has become less and less stable with each subsequent build. By creating a clean profile however, I've managed to determine that one or more of my extensions (likely flashblock) is causing these frequent crashes. Not wanting to give up the my extensions though, I think I've found a new solution.

The problem seems to be that script errors in pages are causing firefox to crash with certain extensions. What I found though, is that most of the time, the scripts that are causing the problems are ad servers. Enter Adblock!

I hadn't installed Adblock before, since with FlashBlock and AniDisable, the only ads that were left were static banner ads, which never really bothered me. By using the extension to filter out problem script servers though, it seems to have made Firefox much more stable.

Now if only the memory usage didn't climb so much...

2. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I started with IE and got frustrated with it so I moved to Firefox and now it's seems more buggy than ever. I now downloaded and am using Opera. So far so good but we'll see.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

There is also another extension called NoScript that you might want to check out.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Yeah, I saw that one on the extensions mainpage last night. Is that the one that does script whitelisting? Not sure if that would be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth or not.

I'm actually kind of curious why some of these extensions haven't been incorporated into the browser proper. Maybe this would improve its stability?

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've been using NoScript & it is starting to wear on me. Maybe I'll try adblock instead.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

hrmm i havent had any real issues with firefox maybe its cause im still running 1.0.5 even a buggy mozilla build is thousands of times better than any IE build.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

http://www.opera.com - the fastest browser out there for now with tons of features; for info on how to get the most out of it go to http://operalover.tntluoma.com/8/

http://www.privoxy.org - really good filtering software for ads, cookies and other privacy invading stuff on the web.

Combine the two and you get a nicely ad-free and reliable surfing experience. Should Opera still crash... no worries. It will remember what you were doing at the time of the crash and reload all the pages you had up.