What's new

Parking lot sleepers (part 2) (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I now notice the thing du jour to do now that it is like 100 degrees outside is to sit in the car with the sunshade up and the engine running with the A/C on. On my lunchtime walk, I saw a bunch of cars sitting in their spots with the engine running and the A/C compressor on.

Even though they can go inside the building and get A/C (too much A/C if you ask me, it's freezing to me) and sleep. One can always unplug the phone if so desired..

Jay

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Ok, who's gonna be the first one to give this new practice a cute little name?

How about COITUS: Chilling Out In The Unused Space

If your Boss comes out and tells you to wake up and get your butt back to work, that would be .....(you guessed it) Coitus Interruptus.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
haha OK
so my very first job was in a computer parts wholesaler's warehouse pulling orders n stuff (it sucked)
anyway it was owned by this chinese family, and I think most of the other employees were family members or friends.. at any rate they were all chinese except me and another guy, so there was this old guy named walter who was like the walking cash register, he carried all the cash, so when I needed to make change for a customer I had to find walter, who was either wandering around aimlessly, or could often be found sleeping in his car out back. Another interesting quirk, every time he had to drive in the rain he could be found out back with a broom, sweeping his engine. Don't ask, I didn't.
hehe my supervisor was this cool chinese guy that called me phirrups :D coolest boss I've ever had. Anyway the moral of my wandering story is, coworkers are weird.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Great way to kill the enviroment, and wreck shorten the life of your car.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like the perfect excuse to test out one of those sports horns, the ones that have a canister of compressed air & a horn up top. See how well a 110dB blast helps their lunchtime nap. :D
Andrej

Cam S

Screenwriter
God, what a waste of gas. Why on earth would they do that? Idling a car lets out the most pollutions cuz the catalytic converter can't get up to normal operating temperature.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Around here, people sit in their SUVs during lunch and eat - with the engine running and the AC on. Just a little while ago I saw a couple of people sitting in a Ford Excursion eating lunch - with the motor running. No wonder we're so dependent on foreign oil!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Andrej, I've always wanted to get one of those train horn simulators because we do have train tracks (cargo train) next to our plant...
My friend would go to his car and sleep everyday, but he doesn't do on days like these where it would be an oven, he doesn't go and turn on the car and run the A/C, he'll just sleep at his desk.
99°F out there in my friend's car temp sensor... Looks like a tepid ride home today for me. Hope the tires don't melt on the asphalt :) after I get out of the woods.
Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
99 won't be too bad, depending on the humidity. just keep moving :)
oh wait, you have to pedal that yourself, fuck that. :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, us cyclists even have it better than you guys who bike with engines on them, we don't have to deal with traffic! I never really feel this heat because I'm typically moving and of course when I'm on the trails, it's for the most part shaded. I only feel superhot when I get home and go to open the garage and I'm standing still. Then the heat hits you like a brick. But on a bike, I can go around any traffic I hit after I get on the roads and I've been known to go through red lights on the small roads when there is no traffic. :)
I've always wondered how hot those leathers you guys wear get.
BTW, here's another motorcycle question, does Caterpillar make motorcycles??? You know the same company that makes backhows and front-end loaders and stuff? I saw a yellow bike, huge rear tire and all up in Lake Champlain and noticed it hat "Cat" written in the same font and lettering the Caterpillar company uses on the sides... Do they make motorcycles too now?
Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not that I know of. Probably just a sticker.
leather gets hot as hell unless it's perforated. I have a leather suit (un-perf'd) but for hot days I have a mesh jacket with armor, who knows how well it would hold up in a get-off, but it's cool.
the engine cooks your ass pretty good on some bikes too when you stop in traffic, depends on how good the ducting is I guess :)

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
My car temp display showed 107F yesterday evening. Pavement gets hot as hell & radiates plenty of heat.

No rest for me tonight either, it's skate night. While skate wheels won't melt, they do sink into softer pavement or those tar snakes they put on road repairs.

On the upside, I'll probably come back from the skate a pound or two lighter from water loss!

Andrej

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
depends on how good the ducting is I guess
Back when I had my VFR, there was nothing worse than getting caught in midday stop&go traffic, here in Orlando, and having the cooling fan kick on.:thumbsdown:
People do the same thing in their cars here. I always want to do the banana-in-the-tailpipe trick.:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my aprilia isn't too bad, the fans point out at an angle similar to the veefer, but a little further. It doesn't take the big twin long to go from 170F (normal cruise temp) to 202F (where the fans click) at a stoplight, even on a cool day. I do get a bit of heat off the cylenders though, since one of them is right under my ass

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Here in Fresburg it's over 95 and sunny from mid June thru mid October. Most car ac's won't cool a car that's been parked in the sun around here if the engine's just idling and not actually driving.

It's common practice in many Asian countries on warm days to park the car, leave the motor running with the AC on, and go into a restaurant to enjoy a leisurely lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks