What's new

Parking etiquette (1 Viewer)

Cary_H

Second Unit
I was extremely anal retentive around keeping my last car in mint condition. This was a big factor in my decision to go carless 5 years ago.
I was always one of those who parked at the extreme ends of parking lots, but I would never take up more than the one spot.
If and when I had no choice but park beside others I would sometimes go as far as to check where the doors of the vehicles on either side of me would make contact with mine and even write down their license plate numbers.
Anyway, for a time I lived by the credo, "don't get mad, get even". And at times I did just that when I had run-ins with morons.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
amen to that.

one time i was at the mall. i parked at the *very* end of the row. there must have literally been 15 spaces before the next car.

when i come back to my car, i notice this other car parked right next to me. i'm like, wtf? but i didn't worry about it ... until my car's alarm told me it had gone off.

i look around my car and see this *huge* (no exaggeration - i had to have a body shop fix it) ding in my fender. the paint perfectly matched the other cars paint, plus i see some of my paint on his door.

i...could...not...believe...it.

it had to be a joke. it had to be done on purpose. there was no other explanation.

so, i looked around, didn't see anyone .... and promptly did .... let's just say ..... what i felt was "appropriate" to do.

i have *zero* regret about that action. now that i'm older i may not do it again ... but then again i just might. idiots like that don't deserve my patience.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Ted:

Kudos to you! Great story. It doesn't matter how old you were or may become, eye for an eye, I'd say.

Never instigate. Always retaliate.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've been one of those "eye for an eye" people since the day back in college when I parked my little Chevette in a sub-compact spot, and then came out to find a huge Lincoln Town Car parked so close (also in a sub-compact spot), there was less than 6" between his passenger side door and my drivers side door. I had to climb in through the passenger side, and had a less-than-enjoyable run-in with the parking break while I was sliding over. Angry and sore, I proceeded to slam my door open several times into his door, leaving a very large, very noticeable impression.

That being said, though, I've also been, since the same day, one of those people who generally parks far away. I'd rather park an extra 50' away if it means no damage to my car, or inconvenience to me. That doesn't mean there aren't idiots out there who think it's fun to park right next to my car way out in the middle of the parking lot. I generally live with that, but I am willing to return the favor if someone dings my car.

As for having kids, when our little ones are with us, we'll park in the Expectant Mothers/Parents with Small Kids spots if they're available. Otherwise, I look for a spot that won't have someone parking next to it. At the stores where I regularly shop, I have my preferred parking places. At Wal-Mart, I always park by the back door (assuming it's open). There aren't many other people who park back there, and I can usually get a spot next to a cart corral. At our regular Meijer, there's a spot that's a little far out, but is between a cart corral and a green space--a little area with grass and a couple trees. Not only does it leave plenty of room on either side, but there's no way anyone can park next to me.

The most extreme example of retaliation I've ever seen--and I wasn't the one who did it--came one day when I was at one of the local Meijer stores. This kid was either driving his dad's new convertible Mustang, or had just received it as a gift. Either way, he was a stupid, punk kid who felt justified in double-parking across two handicapped spots. I saw it on the way in, and all I could think about was how stupid the kid must be, and that someone would most likely do something to his car (based on the area of town, I was pretty positive someone would do something). Anyways, I came out from doing my shopping, and the kid was standing there in tears, talking to a cop. Someone had deeply keyed his car from front to back, on both sides, as well as all over the hood. They had also slashed the soft, convertible top. As I walked by, I heard the cop tell him, "But you did park across two handicap spots". I just couldn't muster any sympathy for him.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I will qualify my statement about getting even.
I never get revenge by doing willful damage like keying a car, kicking a body panel, or anything along those lines.
My take on this is that anything that results in an insurance claim hurts all of us, not just the jerk you took revenge on.
My response of choice merely causes some real inconvenience to the offender but doesn't make an impact on his/her pocketbook. We all lose when someone makes an insurance claim to repair vandalism.
I previously avoided letting you in on my secret 'cause I wasn't sure how well my tactic of "getting even" would be received here. From the last couple of posts, there seems to be support for retaliation.
What I used to do is simply remove the guts from two or more valve stems from the wheels of the jerk's car. More than just one means his/her spare tire only resolves a fraction of the problem. Leaving a note is imperative. I want the jerk to know that his actions were what put him in the position he now finds himself in. Maybe he'll think twice the next time he pulls a stunt.
With any luck, us respectable folks will win this war one battle at a time.
My buddy and I have developed a theory around road rage. The problem isn't TOO MUCH road rage, it's that there's not enough. If the inconsiderate, stupid, and incompetent out on our streets got chastized for any and all times they pissed someone off they'd smarten up or maybe even stay the hell off the roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks