Parking etiquette

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Tsang, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I love to shop. But shopping inevitably puts me in a position to deal with bad parking etiquette. Is it so difficult to park in the middle of the lines? I could do it in reverse driving stick with one hand while drinking a slushy.

Why do people double park? Those with $$$ cars obviously don't want them dinged, but do it at a far end of the lot, not in the middle. Those with big-ass trucks piss me off too.

Why do people park so close to others when there is clearly enough room to straighten out? Why are they so disrespectful?

I can't stand kids, parents over-occupied with the little runts that they can no longer think, large people, or people with shitty cars. This demographic swing their doors wide open like they're in the middle of a park.

Finally, I hate people who park onto boulevards, grass, and other designated no-parking zones especially during X-mas season. These people tend to drive trucks and SUVs and it's probably the only time they ever get to take their wheels off-road. If you can't find a spot, wait or go somewhere else. Suck it up! I do.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I just park in the firelane right outside the doors. [​IMG]

3. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with you here. I see this a lot at my school.

4. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Darren:

They are admittedly stereotypical. I mentioned those "groups" simply because it pops to my mind out of repeated experiences. And others are likely to relate to that better than if I had been more PC. I respect you for not dinging others, though. [​IMG]

5. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Uh oh, don't get me started [​IMG]

I park on the street, in front of my apartment building, and there are any number of grieveous parking faux pas that get under my skin:

• People who take up almost THREE full curbside parking spots because they leave too much room between their vehicle and the ones in front and/or behind, but not enough for anyone else to park as well.

• Whenever it snows, I dutifully shovel out my little front wheel drive car and at least one other spot, but as soon as I leave, I can be sure both spots will be occupied by ONE giant 4X4 pickup truck or SUV upon my return.

• People who already have parking stalls, driveways or garages, but who still insist on parking in a valuable curbside spot.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was going to start a thread similar to this.

I agree with all the parking faux pas mentioned so far. But the worse are those people with big-ass SUVs who park in the space designated "For Compact Cars Only". Can't these morons read?? Whenever I see this happening, I leave a hand-written note on their windshield telling them to learn to read before learning to drive.

Same with those people who drives an expensive car/truck and think that they can just about park anywhere they can, as long as it's close to where they want to get to. Yes, those people get a note from me too.

I personally think the DMV should test people's ability to drive in reverse, because obviously 99.99% of people can't.

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I have to admit to parking on the grass occasionally, but only at my local megaplex. They're really short on parking, especially on the weekeneds. I noticed that people were parking on a grassy area, so I parked there too. It doesn't make it right, but hey, there was nowhere else to park! I'd be surprised if it weren't paved by next summer. Oh, and I drive an Explorer [​IMG]

8. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Well, luckily for me I can park up front at places. I have a handicap card. But, at my apartment it is a different matter. The parking spaces are just the right size for my RX-7. That is a small car. So, what does the neighbor with 3 cars do? Parks them so he takes up about 5 parking spots. I guess so he can re-build the engine in his van again. [​IMG]
    And, it's not like the management will do anything. It took them 2 months to replace a security light...But, don't get me started on that one. [​IMG]

9. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

As a father of two small children who is a little on the "large" side, I am totaly offended by this. I am consiterate wherever I park. It's people who think they and their cars are better than everyone else who are the problem. You know, the ones who are over-occupied by what what everyone else in the parking lot is doing they pay no attention and hit someone backing out. The funny thing is, there may be a good chance in a few years you're the one with the shitty car chasing the kids though the parking lot.

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'm getting nostalgic for my rustbucket Tercel, which could fit into the 1/2 spaces left by those hogs. [​IMG]

11. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

This isn't so much a rant as an enigma: Why do some people ALWAYS back into their parking spaces? Isn't it easier to back out into a large, wide-open space than to try to maneuver in between two cars in reverse? I can understand backing into spaces in certain situations, like at a concert where you anticipate 10,000 cars all trying to leave the parking lot at the same time. I just don't understand why about 30-40% of people always back into parking spaces. It seems silly to me.

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Do to some reason of physics and vehichle design with front turning wheels, I find it much easier to reverse into a space between two cars than to drive (forwards) into the same spot.

And for the record I have a '96 Mirage, not exactly a huge SUV and I park in the middle of lanes (Although I do have some trunk rust:b )

13. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I just find backing in between stationary objects easier than out among moving vehicles, but only if I can do it quickly enough to avoid interfering with traffic flow.

14. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Not to mention, the fact that those fricking suv's and trucks are getting so big that they stick out the back of the spot. So what do they drivers do...of course, they pull halfway into the spot in front of them!

And the other thing that pisses me off is when the parking spot lines are slanted and lanes are one way, and people insist on pulling through...damnit! the spots are design to be back out only!

15. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Doesn't sound like it.

16. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

You can make sharper turns in reverse that you can going forward. Also when I used to live in the city and had to parallel park all the time you just get used to backing into spaces.

17. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Much better than having your ass end sticking out on to the road/lane, no?

18. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

It is when the car your parking next to is also crooked. Then, when that car leaves, everyone thinks you are the a$$hole.

Therefore, it is reasonable to consider that the person who parked crooked may not actually be responsible for the way they were forced to park.

19. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I've never heard the stereotypes before that fat people are all inconsiderate or that parents are unable to park. Thanks for the enlightenment.

20. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Guys.....don't get your undies up in a bunch.

Stereotypes by their very nature unfortunately include those who do not fit the mold. They are not facts, laws, rules, or absolutes. Stereotypes are merely tendencies. Just like speed related accidents TEND to involve young males under 25. This is reflected in insurance premiums.
    Should a 20yr old driving a Celica pay more premium than a 55yr old driving a Camry of the same value? I don't make this shit up. It's just what I see.

Large people: Larger individuals require a greater door opening to get out, compared to a flexible, skinny person. They are therefore MORE LIKELY to ding the adjacent car than the skinny dude in the same narrow space.
    It's not because the bigger guy is inconsiderate or careless, it's what he needs. Obese people may also require the support of the door frame to upright him/herself. They can't bring the door to within 1/2 an inch of the next car, and manage not to move it while grabbing the door frame for balance. But that doesn't make it ok. I doubt the guy next to him in the M3 would say: "It's ok. Don't worry about it. I'll just buy another one."
    Furthermore, 2dr coupes have longer doors than a sedan. Again, owner of such vehicles need to be more aware.

Kids: They don't know any better. They don't care. They want to climb in the back and play Gameboy. Again, the boy-racer with a brand new paint job on his modded Civic ain't gonna give a shit.

Parents:
    Look guys, I would never for a sec doubt that you are all anything less than wonderful fathers and husbands. The fact is, parents are overwhelmed by responsibility. When (some) parents take their kids to their cars their priorities include get the kids into the car safely, load up the groceries, break-up fights/yelling matches, all the time while thinking about work and what he/she is going to cook for dinner. Protecting the neighbouring car is not on their radar. So when I say "can't think" I mean they are not aware. They don't notice that little Bobby just put a dent in some guy's RX-8. They don't notice that a car is waiting to back out but can't because lil' Sara left her door open. I don't care if I sound like a bastard for putting greater value on a paint job than some kid. As any driver, I am obligated not to damage other people's cars. If a were a parent, I would have chosen to accept a greater list of responsibilities, but that doesn't give me a right to ignore others' property.

The irony is....I sound like a jerk but like many of you here, I respect others' vehicles. I would not misalign myself so I can get out easier and force you to slither out of your cars. I will take the time to parallel park so we don't end up rubbing bumper on your way out. If a space is too small, I won't cram in to f*** us both over. I'll wander around to find another spot. I expect others to treat my car as I would theirs, but a quick glance at my doors reveals that this isn't the case. Which is why this thread got started.