Parents get it right.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Alvarez, Jan 28, 2005.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

It would be really hard, but I agree that they did the right thing. I have some friends that were having a really hard time with their teenager, but things got better when they got the courts involved and now their kid is doing OK.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Considering they are 'theiving', confronting them sounds like it probably wouldn't do anything to deter them from future acts. Unfortunately this kind of tactic needs to be done to teach them a lesson.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

[​IMG] to the parents. Kids need to know that there are consequences for their actions, despite all the measures that have been put in place to stop parents from disciplining their children.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Where is the father or the uncle? What's that? No mention of one? What a surprise...

Kudos to the Mother and Aunt! Thanks for taking responsibility.

6. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

My mothers best friend turned her 14 year old son in when she found out that he shot someone. He came home to hide out and she called the cops. It was hard for her to do, but she knew it was the right thing to do. She visits him all the time in prison and they have a very good relationship. He is not upset with her at all for doing what she did (not that he has the right to be). He is doing well and should be up for release in 10 years. He has been in prison for 8 years now.

on the extreme side.... my cousin shot and killed a boy and the night before his sentencing, he took off. My aunt and uncle are taking care of him somewhere. They call him often and send him money. None of the family agrees with this and we still cannot figure out why his parents don't see that what he did was wrong and that what they are doing is wrong.

I have two kids and as hard as it would be to lose them to jail or prison, if they did something that warranted that, then by all means I would turn them in. It's the right thing to do and it's the responsible ting to teach your child who has gone astray.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I have a friend who is a cop and a single mom. When her kid was picked up for his second DUI shortly after he movd out and turned 18 she left him right in the county lock-up until he could scrape together bail on his own, and she let the public defender handle his case. He got into a treatment program after that and has been doing a lot better, but he really needed to be "scared straight" and bailing him out (both literally and figuratively) would have been no favor to him at all.

When it comes to playing with fire, sometimes the burned hand teaches best.

Regards,

Joe

8. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Mostly boils down to when schools stopped paddling and parent cant do anything, The kids that know this just get worse and worse as time goes on. Reinstall paddling in schools. Just make new rules before they enforce paddling.
    Like 4 witnesses and a police officer has to be present. Also the paddling must be videotaped for evidence if something should ever happen. A small majority of these kids today are way out of control and need there Hinies tanned.

I dont think a paddling is needed for everything but remember when the parents could discipline, schools could paddle, There was kids that minded and done what was right.
    But there was those few that didnt have morals but for the most they knew what that paddle was.

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

There have been stubborn kids and bullies since kids were first created. Nothing has put an end to this. Now we have to pay for 4 witnesses, pull a policeman off duty, buy a video camera, buy video tape, archive video tapes, hire a videographer, and have a judge and school board review the video?? Then there's the more pay rqd if these witnesses should need to testify. Proper discipline is something that can be taught through parenting. The parents are at fault with blame more on the missing parents. Teachers shouldn't be expected to do much more than what they're trained to do, teach. Schools aren't designed to be centers for human punishment or day care.

10. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Schools can paddle here with parents consent but let a parent touch a kid....[​IMG]
    My daughter took a finger nail clipper from Walmart when she was 8. I took her and the clipper back and spoke to the manager. He did a great job in scaring the crap out of her. No problem since...[​IMG]

11. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Parents CAN discipline. It's not easy, but there are forms of discipline that don't involve physically harming your child. Anything from simple reasoning to scare tactics and other forms of punishment. Sure, some of these can be longer term techniques, but short term punishment isn't always the answer. If there's a study out there that determines that children were better behaved back "in the good old days", I'd love to see it. As Joseph said, bad behaviour has been around forever...

I mentioned this on another thread a few days ago, but I just don't understand how disciplining is equated with hitting your child. I'm not a perfect parent, but my son has learned that consequences follow his actions. And I didn't have to beat him to instill that.

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

My first thought is why disn't the mother know what her kids are up to most nights anyway, but these days lots of people must work long hours and be away just to make a living.

If I thought it was an isolated incident and we could return the stuff (and apologize to the victim), I would do that. If my kid was getting more and more out of control, I could see doing what they did. Either that or look into a Boot Camp type discipline program to try and break the cycle before it spiraled too far.