What's new

"Parenthood" & "Harry and the Hendersons" SEs - April 24th (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
According to www.davisdvd.com, Universal is releasing both "Harry and the Hendersons" and "Parenthood" as special edition DVDs on April 24th. I'm sure somebody else will post the specs for "Harry.." on here (or else you can check it out on the web site.) Specs for "Parenthood" are not available as of yet but I think we can assume it will FINALLY be in widescreen.

John Gido

Second Unit
As per Universal's web site:

Run Time: 1 Hour 51 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG
Bonus Materials
  • Audio Commentary with Director William Dear
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Harry...Finding the Missing Link Featurette
  • Making of the Harry and the Hendersons
  • Newswrap
  • Theatrical Trailer

Audio
  • English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Color

Been waiting a long time for this.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Great to hear about Parenthood. Been waiting for a decent release forever. Not only is it a very enjoyable film, but I'm in it as an extra. ;)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Great! Now that we finally have a decent release of HARRY & THE HENDERSONS out of the way, maybe we could get, I dunno, RAISING ARIZONA maybe?

I can't believe HARRY & THE HENDERSONS gets a "special edition" release, and RAISING ARIZONA... And... And... Ah well...

MC

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome that both of these are getting long overdue SEs. Now come on Universal and give us anamorphic widescreen editions for:

- The Great Outdoors
- Kindergarden Cop
- Twins

I'll buy all three of those in half a heartbeat.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Great Outdoors is widescreen, but I believe it is non-anamorphic.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yay for both! I'll be buying!

Personal: When my childhood dog died I dedicated that wonderful Joe Cocker tune from Harry to him on my afternoon radio show. I think of that old dog every time I hear that song. "Love Lives On" *tear*

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I'm not sure if you were making a connection but just in case, Raising Arizona is owned by 20th Century Fox not Universal.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised this is the first time Parenthood is seeing a widescreen release. Comcast has had it on demand in high-def for quite some time.

John*P

Second Unit
I'm definitely getting both of these. Harry and the Hendersons is a long overdue DVD, and I'm glad I never bothered to buy the current fullscreen/bare bones version of Parenthood...

I never knew The Great Outdoors DVD was non-anamorphic. Hopefully Universal remedies that soon...

Are Twins and Kindergarten Cop only available on fullscreen DVDs? If so, that is awful... I'm not sure about the latter, but I almost bought the Twins DVD one day, till I noticed it said fullscreen on the box...

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Got Harry today from Netflix. Very nice picture! Clean,noticed no dirt or artifacts,almost looks new. Sound was also well done,lots of atmosphere in the forest scenes. Surround was mostly used for score and other effects.
havent checked out the extras yet. but what is there is short. deleted scenes run just over 3.5 mins.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

There's a really good behind the scenes featurette about the make-up effects with both old and new footage. William Dear and Rick Baker talk about how the effects were rigged and created. Some cool stuff. "The making of" featurette is a fluff piece from '87.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I bought "Harry" today, been waiting for this release for years but I won't watch it until maybe tomorrow. I never cared for Parenthood.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It pays to stay out of this area. ;) So there I was browsing the dvd section at Wal Mart and what do I see staring me in the face but Harry and the Hendersons, one of the films that was on my top 5 yet-to-be-on-dvd list and my heart melted! I've been waiting years for this dvd, pretty much since dvd launched a decade ago and now it's mine! :)

I had no idea it was coming...it was just there lol.

I sampled some of it today and they really did an excellent job on this dvd, the video is beautifully rich and it was awesome to finally see this movie in it's OAR!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

But where this dvd really shines is the audio mix, you'll hear things that you've never heard before or weren't presant before and as was mentioned those forest scenes come to life now as does Bruce Broughton's wonderful score. :emoji_thumbsup: I agree about that great song by Joe Cocker, I also tear up a little when I hear it.

I still cry (a long personal story behind why I cry so hard during that scene but I won't go into it) when George yells at Harry and tells him to leave so that Lafleur won't get him. :frowning: Sorry to go on but Harry is one of my all time favorite film creatures, a magnificent creation pulled off by Rick Baker and the late great gentle giant himself Kevin Peter Hall.

I'm just so happy to have this finally! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks