Parent Trap - Swiss Family Robinson sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morgan, May 8, 2002.

1. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I received these two titles from Disney a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to view them in their entirety as yet, but kind of skimmed through.

The pictorial quality is outstanding. Nice transfers.

However, both discs say 5.1 sound on them, but they seem to just come out mono...in the center speaker. I think both films were originally mono, but I assumed Disney had all the separate elements and music stems on three-track masters, but I guess not. They just should have listed the films as mono.

Also, I was a tad disappointed that SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON didn't have as an extra the 1940 RKO version, which Disney now owns. I know it was offered to the video production, but maybe there wasn't enough room on the second disc. I say this because I feel it is very unlikely we will ever get that earlier version on disc in the foreseeable future.

2. Michael St. Clair

Well, as far as audio goes, I'm glad they got the most important track - the original one..

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There is a slight front stereo spread to the music and some use of LFE, especially in SFR. Surround use is infrequent. These titles (and their sound) are also being discussed in threads located here and here.
    Parent Trap was almost certainly mono upon theatrical release, but SFR likely had a mag stereo track.
    Regards,

4. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

There is some footage of the 1940 version on disc 2, but I didn't play it through to the end to see if it was more than just a few minutes. The menu item says it is excerpts from the 1940 version.