Parent Trap - 1998

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DeathStar1, Jun 3, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Watched some of this with my mother just now...I thought those kids where twins, and when I looked up imdb.com to see who played them(my aunt also has twins), I saw that both parts where played by Lindsey Lohan....assuming IMDB.com is correct..

OK, so how'd they do that? It didn't look like bluescreen at all..

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

As with the original Hailey Mills Parent Trap, I would suppose that they had a "double" for her when her face wasn't visible in the shot.

For example, if the two are sitting on a bed talking to each other, the scene would be filmed four times: Once with the real Lohan talking to her "double" (the camera would see only the back of the head of the "double"); a reverse shot of the same scene (with Lohan and the "double" trading places); and an establishing shot (shot twice) of both of them together (Lohan filmed for both twice with later compositing).

Of course, with the way CGI has progressed I suppose they could have just CGI-ed in Lohan's face over the "double's" in a few shots if they needed to in post-production.

BTW, it should be pointed out that, as with the original Parent Trap, the two are only seen together at the camp and then not again until the last fourth of the movie at the dad's house.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

There is one shot near the end where they're both on-screen and one of them is opening an umbrella that does look fake. Otherwise, they do a good job with what Joseph said and the editing.