Pardon the Interruption

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I never miss it, it's definitely my favorite TV show by far. I've been a fan of Kornheiser's writing for years, and I knew Wilbon from Sportscentury and other appearances. The dynamic between those two is awesome, the show is definitely at its best when they don't agree on stuff (which happens often). I was really suffering for those three weeks that they were on "vacation." The guest hosts they have are fine, but it's just not the same when one or both of them is missing.

3. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

I agree... I try not to miss this every day. I love the format with the timer, and I love knowing what they are going to talk about next. Kornheiser and Wilbon are perfect together - sometimes I wonder if they take it outside after the show as it really seems like they dislike each other sometimes.

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

This is a great show, but yes, with only these two. Although David Aldrigde (ESPN's NBA guru) is a fairly good and knowledgable sub. I think they generally like each other, but just agree to disagree on alot of things, similar to Kiley and Booms on Fox Sports Radio, with less hostility. I'm not too sure about alot of sports writers, (see: Rick Reilly) but this is a first rate sports show.

Chris

5. BrettK

BrettK Agent

They're good buddies who've worked together for years at The Washington Post. I've been a fan of Kornheiser's writing (both Sports and Style sections) for years; always thought he could be both insightful and drop-dead hilarious. I never read Wilbon much, but in the past few years have read more and more of his columns.
    Before the TV show, they'd do a weekly on-line chat together, answering questions and debating each other online. And since I can remember they've made remarks about each other in their columns, so they've been debating and had violent disagreements for a long time. But at the same time you know they have nothing but respect for each other.
    I know Tony has had a Radio show for some time as well, but haven't been able to listen to it much.
    I'd definitely recommend checking out some of Tony's columns. His Style section ones are great, though he's been on vacation from writing for a while, before Football gets into full swing. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ony/index.html

6. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

These guys are indeed good friends who argue about sports like you would do if sitting around with your buddies drinking beer and talking smack. Also, Wilbon is almost a daily guest on TK's ESPN radio show.

I love PTI! It was horrible with TK being on vacation and suspended along with Wilbon on vacation.

Crawdaddy

8. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

What caused TK's suspension?

9. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

Someone else I'd like to see at least fill in as a guest host would be The Sports Guy (Bill Simmons) from Espn.com Page 2. I've never heard him talk, let alone in front of a camera, but his columns are gut-wrenchingly hilarious.

10. Roberto Carlo

11. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad to see that PTI is going strong and gaining steam (they have added a PTI segment to Monday Night Football).

Kornheiser and Wilbon are a great pair...they couldn't be less camera-friendly if they tried but they are head and shoulders above most of the "Craig Kilborn wannabes" on Sports Center. They are witty and oftentimes hilarious.

Unfortunately they are shown here at 4:30 pm and tough to catch. Does anyone know if PTI is replayed on one of the other ESPN channels?

Ray

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

13. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I stumbled upon this show one day and I have not missed one since. The magic of TiVo allows me to never miss this show. I love the banter between TK and Wilbon. The guest hosts don't have the chemistry that the two regulars have. This is a great show, not just a great sports show.

Henry

14. Roberto Carlo

15. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Back on the Sports Guy, he's leaving the heavy ESPN.com rotation and moving to LA to write for Jimmy Kimmels late night talk show. If the show lasts you'll hear from Bill Simmons very infrequently

16. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

I've been a long time Tony K fan, going all the way back to the sports reporters. With the internet I've been catching his radio show regularly and when they aired the off air time during the commercials I think it was probobly the best three hours of entertainment you could find ANYWHERE. (they stopped doing that a small while ago) I don't have cable but a friend does and the first time I saw PTI I thought I'd hate it. I despise shows that zip through information. I like to linger and dig. One of the reasons talk shows have little interest for me. But I was sucked in. Something about their chemistry and offbeat nature of some of the topics that makes you just want to watch. At this point it looks like PTI is set to explode into the general television watching consiousness (if it hasn't already).

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Ah, Wilbon and Kornheiser. The Siskel and Ebert of sports reporters. I've read them for years here in DC and have always enjoyed them. Unfortunatly, I never get to see PTI since I never seem to be home when they are on.

Jason