What's new

Pardon the Interruption (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
How many of you out there regularly watch this show? I try to catch it as often as I can on ESPN. It's a very refreshing take on the sports world. I would probably even go as far to say this is my favorite show on TV. Anyway, if you love sports and haven't seen this show, I urge you to check it out.

Brandon Smith

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I never miss it, it's definitely my favorite TV show by far. I've been a fan of Kornheiser's writing for years, and I knew Wilbon from Sportscentury and other appearances. The dynamic between those two is awesome, the show is definitely at its best when they don't agree on stuff (which happens often). I was really suffering for those three weeks that they were on "vacation." The guest hosts they have are fine, but it's just not the same when one or both of them is missing.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree... I try not to miss this every day. I love the format with the timer, and I love knowing what they are going to talk about next. Kornheiser and Wilbon are perfect together - sometimes I wonder if they take it outside after the show as it really seems like they dislike each other sometimes.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
This is a great show, but yes, with only these two. Although David Aldrigde (ESPN's NBA guru) is a fairly good and knowledgable sub. I think they generally like each other, but just agree to disagree on alot of things, similar to Kiley and Booms on Fox Sports Radio, with less hostility. I'm not too sure about alot of sports writers, (see: Rick Reilly) but this is a first rate sports show.

Chris

BrettK

Agent
They're good buddies who've worked together for years at The Washington Post. I've been a fan of Kornheiser's writing (both Sports and Style sections) for years; always thought he could be both insightful and drop-dead hilarious. I never read Wilbon much, but in the past few years have read more and more of his columns.
Before the TV show, they'd do a weekly on-line chat together, answering questions and debating each other online. And since I can remember they've made remarks about each other in their columns, so they've been debating and had violent disagreements for a long time. But at the same time you know they have nothing but respect for each other.
I know Tony has had a Radio show for some time as well, but haven't been able to listen to it much.
I'd definitely recommend checking out some of Tony's columns. His Style section ones are great, though he's been on vacation from writing for a while, before Football gets into full swing. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ony/index.html

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I was really suffering for those three weeks that they were on "vacation."
I assume that you're referring to Tony's "disagreement" with ESPN management. I love the show, too. I also listen to the radio show -- Andy Polley! Andy Polley! -- all the time. But I can't help but wonder if TK is one comment away from having the suits in Bristol replacing him with some blow-dried moron.

Among the substitutes, I thought that only Max Kellerman, who is a TK in training, and David Aldridge, who is hilarious as well as knowledgeable, was okay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

These guys are indeed good friends who argue about sports like you would do if sitting around with your buddies drinking beer and talking smack. Also, Wilbon is almost a daily guest on TK's ESPN radio show.

I love PTI! It was horrible with TK being on vacation and suspended along with Wilbon on vacation.

Crawdaddy

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Someone else I'd like to see at least fill in as a guest host would be The Sports Guy (Bill Simmons) from Espn.com Page 2. I've never heard him talk, let alone in front of a camera, but his columns are gut-wrenchingly hilarious.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
What caused TK's suspension?
As I understand it, it was related to the firing of his radio show producer, Dennis Horgan. Tony, who never hesitated to insult the suits in Bristol, criticized the firing on the air. That's what got him suspended. I suspect it was merely the straw that broke the camel's back. Those who listen to show know that he has little regard for ESPN's management.

Roberto, who is proud to say that his e-mails have been read on the air.

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see that PTI is going strong and gaining steam (they have added a PTI segment to Monday Night Football).

Kornheiser and Wilbon are a great pair...they couldn't be less camera-friendly if they tried but they are head and shoulders above most of the "Craig Kilborn wannabes" on Sports Center. They are witty and oftentimes hilarious.

Unfortunately they are shown here at 4:30 pm and tough to catch. Does anyone know if PTI is replayed on one of the other ESPN channels?

Ray

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
I stumbled upon this show one day and I have not missed one since. The magic of TiVo allows me to never miss this show. I love the banter between TK and Wilbon. The guest hosts don't have the chemistry that the two regulars have. This is a great show, not just a great sports show.

Henry

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
The guest hosts don't have the chemistry that the two regulars have.
There's one possible exception: David Aldredge. He was a long-time colleague of TK and Wilbon at the Post and is a regular on Tony's radio show. He is just at home putting Tony down as Wilbon. He'll let Tony ramble on and reply with his classic "No, Tony." Other than him, though, it doesn't work.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Back on the Sports Guy, he's leaving the heavy ESPN.com rotation and moving to LA to write for Jimmy Kimmels late night talk show. If the show lasts you'll hear from Bill Simmons very infrequently

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been a long time Tony K fan, going all the way back to the sports reporters. With the internet I've been catching his radio show regularly and when they aired the off air time during the commercials I think it was probobly the best three hours of entertainment you could find ANYWHERE. (they stopped doing that a small while ago) I don't have cable but a friend does and the first time I saw PTI I thought I'd hate it. I despise shows that zip through information. I like to linger and dig. One of the reasons talk shows have little interest for me. But I was sucked in. Something about their chemistry and offbeat nature of some of the topics that makes you just want to watch. At this point it looks like PTI is set to explode into the general television watching consiousness (if it hasn't already).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ah, Wilbon and Kornheiser. The Siskel and Ebert of sports reporters. I've read them for years here in DC and have always enjoyed them. Unfortunatly, I never get to see PTI since I never seem to be home when they are on.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks