What's new

Pardon my ignorance... (1 Viewer)

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt
But if Im using a PS3 for all movie playing, I DO NOT need a AVR that decodes True HD/DTS-MA, etc, as the PS3 does that for me. I just need a AVR that can pass thru multi-LCPM to my Sammy plasma, correct?

If my above thinking is correct, I should there for look for a receiver that can do the multi-LPCM pass thru and has a stronger, higher quality amp? Would I need to worry about video processing?

Ive tried to search all this but cant get a simple straight answer

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You don't want a receiver with "pass through" HDMI, because that's for video only. You'll still need another cable for audio (optical/coax), which HD audio isn't possible with. A "pass through" receiver will not do what you want. You need a receiver that does audio over HDMI, as well as video. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily have to decode. But with the prices of the new Onkyo TX-SR606 and the Yamaha RX-V663, it's best to just go ahead and get one of those, and not worry about it.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

Thanks for the help Ed. Are either of those receivers better/worse than the Marantz 4003? At this point, I am looking for quality over bells and whistles.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 4003 doesn't decode TrueHD or DTS-MA. You need the 5003 ($799 new/$549 refrurbed) for that. I'd prefer Marantz but they're quite a bit more money.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

I dont need to decode those as the PS3 decodes them for me already. I have been looking at Accessories4less and they seem to have very good prices on refurbed 4002 and even 5002. From what I have read, A4L customer service is very good and their refurbed stuff is top notch

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Understood, but the two models Ed mentioned did decode the new formats so I thought I would mention it.Yes, they have very good prices on Marantz and Onkyo re-manufactured items, are authorized dealers and are often recommended around here.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I responded in one of your other threads.

I can vouch for AC4L's customer service as their shipping was lightning-fast with good communication. I picked up a refurbished Marantz 5002 around ten days ago and it was cosmetically perfect. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet so I'll have to get one with the new hi-res onboard decoders.. no big deal.

I was all over the place with my possible AVR choices...initially Yamaha(for quite awhile) but I started leaning heavily towards Denon. I was also considering HK but their quality issues scared me away. I half-considered the Onkyo 606 but the overheating issues nixed that decision.

In the end I had narrowed my choices to Denon and Marantz. I had always wanted a Marantz and that swayed my decision. I obviously couldn't have gone wrong with either brand.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

Very Cool Kevin. I am down to the 5002 or a Denon. Im leaning towards the 5002 unless I can pick up a higher end Denon on the cheap. Let me know how the 5002 sounds when you hook it up.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin

Will do, Matt. It will probably be awhile before I audition the 5002 since I still don't have the Samsung 61" LED DLP or Blu-Ray player. I'm slowly but surely acquiring the gear for my secondary HT room(my daughter's old bedroom) as I purchased two of the "Famous Maker"(Atlantic Tech) Dr Hsu-designed 10" subs from Parts Express before X-mas. I've had the front stage speakers in my inventory for years...Michaura M55's for the mains and an Aura LSC-537M CC. I recently purchased M&S in-walls for the surrounds.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin

Jersey....South Jersey...near Atlantic City.

I saw one of the testimonials on AC4L's site from a guy who lives in FL(AC4L is located in FL) and he mentioned receiving his item the next day.

I ordered the 5002 late in the afternoon on a Tuesday and I had it in my hands two days later. I couldn't believe it. I received a notice from them that it had been shipped out around an hour after I placed my order online. That outfit is top-notch...highly recommended. If I didn't know any better I'd swear the unit is brand new..the receiver itself,accessories,owners manual,etc look untouched. The receiver is perfect cosmetically and I have little doubt that it'll work perfectly when I hook it up.

I like refurbs in that you can get quality gear for great prices. Not to mention they're usually more reliable since they've been fixed and checked over again by factory techs. It also doesn't hurt that Marantz backs their refurb gear with a one year warranty. I've purchased refurbed gear in the past from lesser brands than Marantz so the decision was easy for me.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

sweet. Im in south fla. and it looks like they are in the Central Fla/Orlando area. Hard not to beat the deal that the have for what you paid.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin

Ain't that the truth? I never expected to pay a little over $300 shipped for a quality receiver like Marantz.

I thought about waiting for the 5003 refurbs to become available(just for the addition of the DD Pure HD and DTS-MA onboard decoders) but in the end I decided the 5002 had everything I was looking for and the price was right. I didn't think shelling out an extra $250(give or take) for the 5003 was worth it in my case. It's not like the Blu-Ray player's prices aren't falling like a rock. I just need to look for one with the hi-res decoders.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

You know having a built in decoder is one of the big reasons I bought the PS3. The gaming is nice obviously, but with 4 kids, i get to play games maybe once or twice a month. Plus from what I read, its BD playing ability is near the top of all BD players.

It will be the center of my HT for many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks