What's new

Pardon my ignorance... (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
....I'm looking to put together my first home theater. I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind. :emoji_thumbsup:

1. What's the added benefit to seperate tuner & amp? If the benefit is good enough, what receiver should I get with upgrading in mind?

2. 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1? Not looking for a huge debate, more just your preference. And what brands?

Thanks for the help guys.

Joel()Les

Agent
I'll give my $0.02 on question 1.
What price range are you looking at? Seperates seem to be mainly in the high end market. From my perspective, use seperates when you feel strongly that no receiver provides you with the features and/or performance you want. My current set-up (being replaced) has a seperate tuner and amp. I did that because my speakers worked best with a high current amp so I chose HK. However, I thought HK's tuners weren't that great (back in the 80's) so I bought a Yamaha tuner which had much better FM performance. Today, at my price point (under $1000) there are receivers that do everything I need so I will get a receiver.

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
Budget is an issue. I'd like to stay around $500 to start. I'm thinking that I'll just get a receiver to start and then upgrade later (ie. to a better receiver or seperates depending on budget and my tastes at the time)

And brands? I see alot of votes for Onkyo and HK.

Joel()Les

Agent
I like HK, but no phono input. I rarely listen to my albums, but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with them.
You might also look at Denon. I'm leaning toward NAD, but it is more expensive.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I'll try to lend my $.02 as well...

1. for under $500, you are pretty much limited to getting an integrated AV Receiver. the good news is you'll find plenty quality AVRs for that much money... The more money you spend, the more power, features and build quality you'll get... Whether or not you'll be able to appreciate (notice i didn't say hear) a difference between a $500 AVR and $5000 seperates will largely depend on your software (music, movies, other sources), your playback device, room size, listening level, speakers, speaker placement, well you get the point... to make a long story short, there are a number good threads active that cover "entry level receivers"

like...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=179888
or
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=178868

2. I prefer the flexibility and name sake of 7.1, in practice I have a 6.1 system capable of 7.1... why? because most material is 5.1, less 6.1... because my room (13x14) is not big enough to need two surround backs (the 6 and 7 in 6.1 and 7.1 respectively), and 6=7 since the surround back channel is mono (imagine having two front center channel speakers).

personally, if i was in your position, for $500 bucks, I'd get an used or refurbed Denon 3802... Not a whole lot has changed in the n.1 race since it first came out (orig msrp was over $999), and you'll be much happier with the power you get out of it than you would out of a newer "entry level" AVR, like say the Denon 1804.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
If you are toying with the idea of separates get a receiver that has pre-outs, that way in the future you can get separate amps, still using your receiver as a pre/pro. It is not a bad way to get into separates. Pioneer receivers aren't too bad.

:star: I vote for 7.1 :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
My thoughts on question 2:

I first looked at how much space I had to play with, which wasn't much. Based on the objective of creating a sound field at my listening position, I determined that my power requirement is relatively small. I then auditioned (in my home) several receivers and eventually settled a 5.1 (Yamaha HTR-5630) for under $200. This receiver can also simulate the 6th channel in the same way that most (All?) receivers can simulate the center channel. I haven't looked back.

IMHO, if you crowd too many speakers into a room that's too small for an ideal sweet spot, the surround speakers will form more of a blur instead of an actual sound field image. If you have the space though, go for gold.

All of this is very subjective, so individual results will vary.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
1. The benefit of having seperate OTA radio tuners, power amplifiers, and pre-amplifiers(controllers) is that you are able to spend $$$ on better performing parts. Some people may swear by Unobtanium-Inc's $5,000 Am/Fm tuner, but OTA is worthless to me, so I wouldn't buy a tuner. The same applies to the controller and the amps, you can buy better quality, have more features, etc etc.

The problem is that with a $500 budget you are not in the range of seperate HT components. Your only choice is amongst recievers.

2. I like 5.1. I would like 6.1 more but I , and most other consumers, do not have enough space for a rear-center channel. And I will give more thought to 7.1 systms when 7.1 media is introduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks