What's new

Pardigm ADP 70 or Atoms? (1 Viewer)

JonathanOh

Agent
I am very space challenged.

The ADP 170s are too big so I am stuck with either the Atoms or the ADP 70.

I have heard good things about the Atoms and actually auditioned them as rears with the Studio 20/CC upfront (which I bought). Obviously I would like to get the Studio ADPs in back but cannot (WAF).

The Atoms were okay but I would rather go dipole if possible.

Anyone familiar with the ADP 70s?

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully someone will reply with a more specific answer about the ADP-70's. For what it's worth, I've read that the ADP-70's are not as good as other Paradigm speakers. Can't remember why...something about inferior construction materials maybe.

Anyways, are the ADP-170's really too big? I have a pair as rears in my setup at the moment, and I think they're pretty tiny. Only slightly bigger than the Atoms in my estimation.

Curious: are you certain you want dipole rears? I thought I was certain, but now I'm nearly certain that I don't need them. The surround stage in my setup is so diffuse that I can't hear it. I know the point is to avoid localization of surround effects, but it sounds so vague/weak that I really find my DTS/DD experience lacking because of it. To me it actually sounds better with a pair of $30 Jensen direct-firing bookshelf units back there.

A number of issues could be making the ADP-170's sound non-optimal in my room. The odd shape, the materials on the wall, floor, and ceiling, the speaker placement, etc. But I've already made up my mind to return the 170's and use Atoms in the rear.

If you do get 170's, be sure to get enough time so that you can audition them for a while in your home, with the ability to bring them back if you don't like 'em. They cost 2.5 times more than a pair of Atoms, and more than Mini-monitors...so the ability to exchange them if you're not satisfied becomes pretty important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks