Parasound vs Harmon Kardon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Clark F, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Clark F

Clark F Agent

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V630 and Paradigm Monitor 7's for mains.
    I was thinking abour upgrading with a 2 channel amp for music. Have been thinking about a Parasound HCA-750a or HCA-1000a. Saw the deal at Onecall for a HK PA-2000 for $210. How would the PA-2000 compare to a HCA-750a in my system?
    TIA

2. DanielMan

DanielMan Auditioning

Hi Clark,

I took that deal on the PA 2000. I compared the specs on the Parasound and the PA 2000. To me, it looks like the HK is the way to go. HK vs. Parasound: 45 amps vs. 25 amps; 100 watts vs. 75 watts. Higher current, higher wattage, I was sold. I do think the Parasound has an advantage on the slew rate.

Anyway, I've always liked the sound of HK amplifiers and at $207, I'm not risking much. Hope this helps!

3. Clark F

Clark F Agent

Thanks for the response.
    I passed on the deal because I wasn't confident about the quality of the PA-2000. I was hoping for some opinions from this post, but unfortunately didn't get any before the deal expired. I must say I am surprised - I thought I would get some pro parasound posts. [​IMG]

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Clark,
    I think if you would go with a 2 channel parasound you would want the HCA1000a. I recently got the HCA855a for a deal I couldn't pass up. If I had the money I would have went with the 1205a but I didn't so I know own the 855a.
    I don't think the 75 would be that much of a improvement. I did some in store testing with a Pioneer 811 / HCA75a and there were noticeable improvement but nothing major. I have seen the HCA 1000 go for anywhere form $200 - $350. Keep an eye on Ebay or Audiogon for used ones. Most items are taken care of and in working conditions. I bought mine used and it looks Brand new..not a scratch or anything. Just my thoughts......

5. Clark F

Clark F Agent

Another option I have been considering is saving longer and buying a used 1205. THe $210 PA-2000 was tempting though...

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

clark,
    That is what I planned on doing but the price for the 855a and condition I couldn't pass up. I love it .....hopefully one day I can jump up to something with more power.

7. DanielMan

DanielMan Auditioning

Just thought I'd follow up. I received the PA 2000 today and hooked it up.

WOW! The clarity and detail it brought out of my speakers were surprising. Now I have a decent music system using satellite speakers (and sub of course)!

Now I'm all set until I feel the need to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1..... Hmm... Any more OneCall deals?

8. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

The Parasound 1205a is a very good sounding and reliable amp,HK sounds good too but reliability could be an issue.