Parasound Power Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I am using a denon 4802 with a 5-channel parasound HCA-855a amp to power the front speakers and center speaker. Recently I also tried to power my surround back speakers from the parasound, but after watching a DVD scene with heavy surround sound my power amp started going into current overload. I took my surround back speakers off the power amp and now the problem is gone. It seems strange that the addition of the surround back speakers would cause this problem. I would think that the surround back speakers wouldn't draw that much current. It has been extremely cold in my area and I know the emergency electric heat on my heat pump has prolly been switching on so maybe it has been dropping the available power in my house. The power amp is less than a year old and I am the original owner. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Did you callibrate the system after hooking your rear speakers up to the Parasound?

Also, are the level controls set the same on the back of the Parasound?

You're right. It doesn't seem like this should have happened. I'm assuming that you'd never used those two-channels before. The only thing I can think of is if somehow you had the real channels set to play higher than your fronts and that's why I asked the callibration question. Other than that, I'm stumped.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I can't think any other reason,but some sort of a "short",or if your speakers have some "funky" impedance curves,which would require the extra amps to flow to drive 'em.
    What kinda of speakers you have all around?

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

The same thing happened to me with my parasound. I took the speakers down and checked them out(Paradigm) did a continuity check on the wires(o resistance) did everything I could think of. I finally gave up and put them on my recievers amp(Denon 3802) and bi-amped my fronts.

5. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if this is very helpful, but you and I got our Parasounds at the same time. I am using an integra 7.2 as a receiver and Deftechs (pro monitors) as surrounds. I have turned it up to ear-splitting levels on Lord of Rings and not had the Parasound protection kick in. At what level and what movie and I will try it again

6. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I was listening to the Star Wars Pod Race scene at modest levels at about -28 below reference. I tried it using my surround back speakers (paradigm mini's) and also with my surround speakers (paradigm adp's) and both caused the overload. I guess I will give parasound a call and see what they have to say. It seems strange that I have the same problem as ChrisB and we both have paradigm speakers, I wonder if there is anything to it.

7. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

Tried it at reference level (and above) with no overload

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've run the Parasound HCA855 powering 5 speakers for 2 years now(most of the time at insane levels) and I've not had a problem. You may want to contact Parsound tech support. I've emailed then w/questions and have usually had answers by the next day.
    http://www.parasound.com/service_inf...n/contact.html
    Just curious, how do you rate the quality of the Parsound to your Denon?

9. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

10. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Try and see if it goes into protection with the speakers plugged into those channels but without any input from the receiver. My 855 had a problem with a ground inside the amp. Had to send it to parasound...