Parasound line level setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHalder, Mar 24, 2002.

1. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

I am so excited; my Parasound 1205A will be here tomorrow. This is my first separate amp and I am really looking forward to seeing if it will better my STR-DA777ES amp section, which is great as far as receivers. It’s been a great week with the addition of a dual SVS 20-39CS+/Samson1000 package to my HT (still use my 2 SPL1200’s on either side of my couch)[​IMG], and I hope that this amp will be the icing on the cake. I was reading the PDF manual for the 1205A and didn't see any information as to the proper setting of the line level gain for the channels. Any thoughts or experiences as to the ideal setting for the gain would be? I noticed the THX setting mark on the gain control which is a little less than the max setting, and wondered of this is the ideal setting for this amp, or run the gain all the way up? As always, any input or thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.
    Mike

2. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

You set the gain level to maximum. This is what's recommended on the manual. I have the HCA-855A and they share the same manual. Adjust speaker levels through your pre-amplifier.

-Vic

3. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

what speakers will you be driving with it?

4. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't expect much, I tried a Parasound HCA-1500A to my 777es receiver and Paradigm Studio 100 combination and didn't notice much if any difference at all.

Hopefully the five channels makes for a more noticeable difference.

5. MikeHalder

Tony,

I wil be driving 2 KLF-30', 2 KLF-10's and a KLF-C7.

Mike

6. MikeHalder

Well once again, it's late night when I finaly get my new equipment hooked up. Can't play with my new toy till tommorrow.DAMN! One thing I did notice is that the 1205A plays much louder a a given volume level. I get to 1 on the volume adjustment(7 oclock)and its a normal listening level, use to be about 2 (8 oclock)was the normal listening volume with the same source material! Would it be bad voodoo to reduce the gain on the amp for easier volume control or should I just go with the touchy throttle? One false move on the remote volume button can spell trouble for the household. Will I be losing any sound quality by reducing the gain? I know that volume will not be an issue.

Mike

7. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

MikeHalder

Yes you should reduce the gain in this situation. How high is the Sony's volume when you are reading 75db on your SPL meter? In most cases you should be at about 11 to 12 oclock on the sony master control. Otherwise you may really have to boost your Sub out channel to level match to the rest and you really shouldn't set it much higher than -3db or risk adding distortion to the sub channel at higher volumes.

If you are hitting reference lower than the 11:00 position you might as well reduce the gain on the Parasound so you don't have such a touchy volume and try and balance it out so you reach reference between 11 and 12. There is no harm in lowering gains, that is why they are there.

8. MikeHalder

Here is how I adjusted the speaker levels:

I took the sensitivity rating of each speaker and adjusted its volume in the receiver relative to the mains:

Mains: 102dB @ 1w

Center: 99dB + 3db = 102

Surrounds: 98dB + 4 dB = 102

I then set the volume on the receiver to the 10 o'clock position. Using the Avia main speaker set up tones, I adjusted the gain on the amp for each channel to obtain an 85dB reference level for each speaker. The gain knob position is close for each channel. Using the Avia sub set up I adjusted the sub volume in the receiver to get an 88db reading (relative to the mains). I ended up with the sub level at -12dB on the receiver.

Is this the correct way to adjust the amp gain for each channel or am I incorrect in this method of setting up the system. Like I said, this is my first separate amp for HT and I want to get it right, besides I probably will not sleep right until I know that It is. Any comments on this method I have used would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mike

9. MikeHalder

One question I forgot to include in my last post was about the power connection for the amp. Should I keep it plugged in to my HTS2500(monster power) or go directly to my dedicated 20A outlet,which also suplies the power center? I am running my samson 1000 through the HTS2500 as well as every other piece of HT equipment in the rack and was concerned that it might be too much current to be put through it.

Thanks,

Mike

10. MikeHalder