Parasound HCA2205AT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleV, Mar 5, 2002.

1. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Okay, after trying out the Anthem MCA5 and then the Parasound 2205AT I decided to take the Parasound home. I have a few questions about the 2205 from other owners.How hot does it get? Do you have it installed in an entertainment cabinet? How much ventilation space does it actually need. The manual states 6" all around. If thats true this amp will have to sit on top of my cabinet, something I'm not entirely crazy about. For now it will only be driving Polk speakers but hoping to upgrade to Studio 100's,Studio Center, and Studio 40's in the near future. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Dale,
    Happy owner of the 2205 since October. It gets pretty hot, although I've never had problems. Initially, I had it in the bottom shelf of a "built in" wall unit with about 5 inches on top and one or two on sides. Back (amp)is so deep had 0 room at all. I did not like this set up at all, although I never had a heat issue. I was more concerned with my cables as they were to jammed along sides (speakers) and on back (speakers + interconnects).
    Hence, in December bought a Salamader Synergy 40 rack and all is well now. Plenty of room!! I have Paradigm 9seMkIII mains and they simply love the power. With this amp owning a house (a politely getting the wife and kids to go shopping/a movie) can't be beat.
    One suggestion is on power. For the first few weeks I plugged into my Monster HTS 1000 and amp seemed a little congested. I also tried straight from wall and sound was cleaner. Problem is no protection. My dealer lent me a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (15amp/High Current design) which was positive. No congestion + protection to boot. You may want to consider this later.
    Also, two weeks ago I rediscovered vinyl and have not listened to a CD (except to compare with vinyl counterpart) and find my self (1) fatter, from sittin in my sweetspot a lot, and (2) amazed what the combination of all our components can sound like. In this case, I believe that this amp is an awsome "offensive lineman" in my system. Now I'm just waiting on my new starting "quarterback", that would be the Outlaw 950[​IMG]

3. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I'm a very satisfied owner of a 2205a and a 2003. For some reason the 2003 runs warm not hot but the 2205 does get much warmer.I have it on the bottom shelf of an open rack(front and sides open) with no problems. If you were going to put it in a cabinet I would reccomend a small fan to keep it and other components cooler.I can attest to the 2205 opening up Studio 100's.I used to own a Paradigm setup;Studio 100's/CC/Adps/Active 20's/Servo 15a. The closest I ever pushed the speakers and amp were to -2db's below reference and at that level my brain felt like its was about to explode!Not once did I hear any strain from the amp or the speakers.There was still mass amonts of headroom on both the amp and speakers.The 2205 is a great amp that mates well with the Paradigm Refrence line of speakers.

SteveM

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Yep, another owner of a 2205 and it does run very warm. I have 6 inches on top and back, but only 2 inches on each side.

Its on almost all the time as its in my living room. It does get fairly hot. Sometimes the high temperture light comes on and sometimes it runs all day and the high temperture light doesnt come on..