What's new

Parasound HCA-855A Amp 12V Trigger (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hi All-
I just got my amp hooked up last night and I want to get the 12V trigger to work with my Sony STR-DA5ES. I purchased a mini-phone jack 1/8" Phone Plug from RS with the bare wire at the ends. Which of the wires are positive/negative?
The inner jacket I assumed is the Positive wire. Am I correct? And where do I plug the Mini-phone jack to my Receiver? I have about 4-5 mini-Control Jacks (SEE PICTURE ) in the back of the 5ES and I dont know which one will work.
I tried to do it last night and it seems like the voltage is NOT enough because there is NO sound coming out of the speakers although the amp DID turn on.
Inputs would be appreciated.
Thanks
Angelo

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'd like to know the answer to this question too, having just gotten an 855. In my case, the receiver is a Denon 2700, which has AC outlets on the back. I assume you'd need something like the part that Roger listed to plug into the back of the receiver.

But what about the other end? The 855 has 2 screws - not a mini-plug of any sort - for the 12V trigger. One of the 2 screws is a grounding screw. The picture at that Radio Shack link doesn't show what's at the other end. Do you need two separate adapters? Or is there one piece that would be sufficient?

DanaA

Screenwriter
What I'd suggest is that you call Parasound. I had to ask one question regarding my 1205A and they were very helpful and friendly. Also, unlike when I call certain unnamed other places, there was no wait time. I'm sure they get this question a lot, so are probably well versed in how to spell it out in plain English, something I didn't feel they did in the manual. If someone does call, they might wish to share the information with HTF. I don't need to do it myself as the unit is very accessible when I'm turning on my Onkyo receiver which I'm using for a preamp for the time being.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I spoke to Parasound and they recommended the same gadget mentioned above by Roger.

Good Luck and Thanks

Angelo

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Angelo,
Let me know how that adapter works out if you get one. I just took a look at it at a local Radio Shack and I still can't figure out it would attach to the amp. Maybe there's some extra piece that splits one mini-adapter plug into 2 lead wires???

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 855, and what I did was take a 9VDC power supply (from an old phone I threw away) and found that the striped wire was the positive wire (the supply said the inner connector was "+" and by pulling back the seal I saw the striped wire was soldered to the inner connector). Cut the mini-jack off, stripped both wires and connected it up to the Parasound. Plugged the other end into the switched electrical socket on my receiver. Worked like a charm!

Manual says that 9-12VDC will work, so anything in that range should be fine.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Marvin-
Actually the ends are supposed to be bare wire. One is positive and the other is negative. The Parasound Tech(Tony)
called it a "Wal-Wart?":frowning: :frowning: and he also mentioned that the outer sleeve is the ground and the Center pin is the Positive (I cannot confirm this).
I hope this helps
Angelo

DanaA

Screenwriter
Oh no, not at all Greg. It was just where to locate the serial number so I could fill out the warranty card. I have mine positioned with real difficult access to the rear panel. Anyway, it is right on the Parasound box.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Angelo, If you ever get the trigger, can you list the part number. I also have the 855.
Greg, Hows the amp? Looked for you over the weekend but figured you were playing with your new toy. :D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The Parasound Tech(Tony) called it a "Wal-Wart?
I've seen these adapters described as 'wall warts' though I suppose it would be more accurately called a 'receiver wart' since you need to plug it in to the back of your receiver.

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DA5ES and a Parasound HCA-855A. Here's my story.

I bought the 12V AC adapter kit that includes the various mini-plug attachments. I did this before actually checking the back of the amp; I had assumed it used an 1/8" phono plug. I went back and grabbed a $1.99 attachment that ends in two bare wires. I matched up the wire with a white stripe with the + symbol on the attachment plug. Next issue: the wall wart won't fit into the switched outlet on the Sony because the receiver's power cord is in the way. I used an extension cord, but I want to find a shorter spacer; the entire combination of cords, adapters, etc. is just too cluttered.

But it works.

In short:

Short extension cord
12V AC adapter that take adaptaplugs
Bare wire adaptaplug ("hobbyist"?)

--Mike

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thanks Michael. I just checked again at Radio Shack and the guy there said I could just cut off the end of the adapter plug and strip off a little insulation from the wires.

As for the adapter itself, I understand that 9-12V will work but what about that second number, e.g. 500mA as in the one listed above? Does it have to be 500mA or was that just an example?

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Marvin-

This is what I did last night. I found one of those old Phone with the 110V-12V 500mA (actually it says 9V DC output) and I cut the end and stripped the wires of some insulation. I guess I must have the positive and negative backwards because this did NOT work. I stopped and just gave up. I will ty and switch the wires this afternoon and i will post my results.

Angelo

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Vlad, Angelo, et al,

Radio Shack part numbers:

273-1773...500mA 12VDC Adapter. $12.99
273-1742...6" Power Leads Assembly. $1.99

The second is for those who dont want to cut the connection plug off and strip the wires on the 12V adapter itself. You line up the connectors according to the chart on the Power Leads packaging (tip = +). Beware that the 12V adapter head itself is large and the polarized plug may require you to use an extension cord for the plug-in on the receiver's switched outlet.

I think I'll post this under a separate thread since there has been a flurry of amp buying lately due to Ubid and Parasound.

keithm

Auditioning
Hey all,
Get a volt meter, this will tell you which wire is positive and negative.. Also, goodwill sells DC convertors cheap $1-$3.. Good source for that low cost add on..

Keith

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I've got a question that has been bugging me about using a 12v AC adapter as a trigger.

Is the amp drawing power now through the ac adapter and then through the receiver rather than going through the stock Parasound power cord???? Does a AC adapter affect the sound at all of the amp?

I hope somebody can ease my mind by letting me know that it has no effect on the amp.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
greg-

I dont think it will do anything because it is using DC vice AC power. The AC is still from the wall outlet.

Anyway..I got the Trigger to work perfectly..Just like Paul said..get an Adapter/splice the wires/figure out the + and - then you're set..No sweat to it...Mine works great now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks