Parasound HCA-855

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Donovan, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Peter Donovan

I don't know much about this amp, and have not seen any reviews on-line of it. Is this new or old?

It is only 85 x 5 watts at 8 ohms, however, I have a rather small listening room 12' x 18' and my speakers are NHT 2.1. So, I think the power would be fine for me, but here is my question: My current Marantz 780 receiver is 80 x 5, I'm guessing that the Parasound's power is still more powerful, despite the close rating. Is that true? Would I see much of a gain?

thanks

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I asked the exact same question in the "Parasound Love Fest" thread or whatever it was called a few weeks back. Everyone who seemed to have the 855 loves it and definitely thought that it provided a better sound when hooked up to a receiver that already had 80-100W. I guess its the quality of the power, not just the numbers.

Aaron

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'd also add that, despite the rated power, receivers often aren't tested with all 5 channels being driven at the same time. In other words, an 85 watts/channel Parasound might well have more actual power than a receiver rated at 100 watts/channel.

4. Peter Donovan

Thanks for the replies!

5. Joshua G

Joshua G Auditioning

Don't let the 85 watt rating fool you . This is the little amp that could. It weighs 40 pounds and is built great. I use it with Polks and have ran Energy towers full range with it with no problems.

Josh

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Peter,

Buy it with confidence. My room is 12x17 and the pre/pro is an H/K 510 which has almost the same power rating. Both are warm but the 855A is warmer. H/K bass has always been strong but now is much more so. As Marantz and H/K have very similar sound qualities, you could expect pretty similar results. If I remember correctly, the power differential was good for 4-5dB's on the volume dial depending on frequency tested.

I'll check my notes and edit this post if necessary.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If you can get this amp for around $400 bucks, I would go for it. It's a real bargain, and you will be hard pressed to find a decent 5 ch. amp in the future for the price you can get the Parasounds crrently.

I have been enjoying mine everyday since purchasing mine awhile back. This amp puts out good clean power that will make your speakers sing. An definite improvement over the internal amps of my Pioneer Elite 35Tx receiver (using as my pre/pro) which is similarly rated.

J

8. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with Justin that $400 is a great buy for the HCA 855.
    Run! don’t walk and pick this amp up.
    My dealer lent me this amp when I had to repair a parasound 2205AT (220wpc x 5). I didn’t think this amp could drive my system (Denon 4802, Polk RT 3000 series) but to my surprise it handled it quite well. It didn’t have all the muscle of the 2205 but it was no slouch either. I really liked this amp so much I recently went back to actually purchase it and the dealer told me that Parasound is recalling some of their old stock and it was gone.
    I don’t know if this is just a situation with this retailer or if this is being done by all parasound dealers. If this is the case then if you find a deal on the 855 don’t hesitate and buy it. Their new Halo line is expensive but their old line is a great bargain right now.