Parasound HCA-2205AT vs. Sherbourn 5/1500...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee-M, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

(First post; hello everyone!)

I am in the market for a five-channel amplifier... the two subject-mentioned models are the top two contenders on my list, based on price, features, and reviews. I do not have a local dealer for either model, so I will be ordering the finalist without ever having the chance to audition the units.

I am not too concerned about either model's abilities in my HT set-up... they both seem to pack a whallop for whatever five-channel material I would be sending them. I am more concerned about the musicality of the unit I choose - I am replacing my current two channel amp (McCormack DNA-1), so either the Sherbourn or the Parasound is going to be something of a step down.

Anyone who has listened to or owned one, or both, of these, I would greatly appreciate any evaluation you might have...

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Many have found the Sherbourn 5/1500A and the Parasound HCA-2205AT to be quite similar both in performance and price. The Sherbourn is however, a 5 monoblock design, while the Parasound shares the power between the 5 channels. Both have their advantages/disadvantages...

Another amp that's comparable to these 2 is the Rotel RMB-1095 which I own.

3. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sherbourn, and for the price...You cant beat this amp!

Fred

4. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I was in the same situation as you are in a couple of weeks ago. I ended up going with the Parasound 2205at for the simple fact that I was unable to locate a Sherbourn 5/1500a.
    I have read pretty much everything I could find about the two amps and I really comes down to what sound you prefer. I asked Mark Shifter what he thought would mate well with my Rockets that I have coming and he had nothing but good things to say about the Parasound. [​IMG] I will post my thoughts on the amp in the next couple of weeks. Good luck with your search.

5. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I own a parasound 2205 I had listened to a rotel 1095 in home for about a week and I prefered the sound of the parasoud, I cant comment on the sherbourn but I have not seen any negative reviews on it. I guess it all comes down to what sounds best to you!

Bob

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I've never listened to the Parasound, but as most have said, it has received quality reviews. I do have the 855 and am happy with that in a basic to channel system in another room. Of course the 2205AT is in a different league.

I do own the the Sherbourn 5-1500A and the price/performance is outstanding.

Your concern is musicality and I listen to a lot of it.In conjunction with Studio 100's and an AVM-20, I am always happy with the Sherbourn's efforts.

Much luck,
    Charles

7. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Ok, let's throw the Rotel 1095 into the mix... I somehow missed it, and it turns out I have a local dealer, so I can at least see and listen to the beast before I plunk down nearly 2-grand.

One concern I have with the Parasound is how tight the spacing is with the speaker posts... I have Kimber 4TC speaker cables (fairly stiff), with Postmaster spades, and I do not want to re-terminate my cables.

I have read several comments in my searches from people who claim there is no difference in the sound you will get from different amplifiers. My own ears tell me otherwise; every different amplifier I have used, from receiver-bound amps to my 65-lb. McCormack DNA1 has sounded different to me. I nearly cried the first time I fired up the DNA1; the music had a pure beauty I had not heard outside of live music for quite a long time.

That is why I am so insistent on choosing the most musical amp I can find. Even on films, it is often the soundtrack that elicits the most emotion.

8. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

I have owned both the Parasound and the Sherbourn amps. Both have a high build quality. You are correct that the speaker binding posts are tightly grouped on the Parasound. I used spades, but it did require patience and great dexterity. As for sound, my preference was for the Sherbourn. When listening to Mideski, Martin & Wood, Tonic, tracks 5 & 6, I find that as the music became complex in instruments and fast paced, the Parasound just seemed like it could not keep up (resolution suffered). I will say the Parasound seems to have better bass control. The Sherbourn renders the top end a bit more open, the Parasound tended to roll the top end in comparison. Of course, all this is presented with the disclaimer of this is what I heard with my speakers, my interconnects, my room--your experience will vary.

9. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Orin,

Thank you for the information; I greatly appreciate your final statement about interconnects, speakers, and listener subjectivity... I would add to the statement "my ears", as well, because I am convinced that there are differences and preferences in sound that some people hear (and care about) to greatly varying degrees, and for some people, that they cannot hear at all.

I was verbally lynched in another forum by some individuals who took great offense to my statements that power cords will make a difference with some components, power amps in particular in my experience; these guys either could not hear it, or had not listened to systems in which it made a difference.

(Sorry for getting so off-topic...).