What's new

Parasound HCA-2205a power up problem (1 Viewer)

Dan Baxter

Agent
My Parasound amp seems to have a intermittent problem when powering up. Most of the time when turned on the amp will just read AC-line and never go into standby and turn on. Other times it works fine. Also I've noticed that sometimes when powered off there is a faint sizzling noise coming from the amp for a few seconds. It almost seems like the power switch dosn't always work. However, if I keep the amp off for about 10-15 min's it will always power up with the first flick of the switch. I've been told that it might only be a $5.00 switch problem. Has anyone else ever had power on problems with any Parasound amps?

Dan

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Dan, I have a 2205a and have never had a problem. I leave mine on 24/7. Take the cover off and have a look see. You would be amazed at what you would find. It might be something simple that would take a minimum amount of time and equipment to repair.Then again it might not but it doesn't hurt to look.

Good Luck,

Steve

Ken Stokes

Agent
Dan,

Go ahead and look around in your amp if you want but PLEASE be careful. Unplug the unit first and allow it to sit for a couple of hours. Your amp holds some serious power that can remain in the unit for some time. I'm not talking ouch kind of power I'm talking the dead kind.

I'm sure nothing was intentional but without some prior knowledge sometimes it's better to leave it to the experts.

Ken

BruceD

Screenwriter
Dan,

I don't know what you are using as a pre-pro, but do you know if the pre-pro supports 12volt triggers?

The reason I ask is because the Parasound has a standby mode, you plug it in, connect the trigger (a two-wire cable like a door bell wire between Parasound and pre-pro), and use the pre-pro power-on/off to turn the Parasound on/off.

In this standby on/off mode you don't ever have to use the amp's manual power switch again, turning on/off the pre-pro takes care of the amp too.

BruceD

Dan Baxter

Agent
I'm using a Yamaha RX-V3000 for a preamp, however I turn the amp on with a Panamax 1000+. I still have this problem even when I leave the power switch in the on postion and turn the amp on with the Panamax.

Dan

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Ken, Thanks for the heads up to Dan, I should have expounded more on that.Yes it has to have time to discharge the power.I have done this with other components and didn't think it might be the first time. No I'm not an asasain.This though has save me time and money in the past, when it was something simple like a loose wire.If more difficult I bite the bullet and sent it in.

Cheers,

Steve

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
If this amp needs a 12volt trigger, just go to Radio Shack and buy a 12Volt adapter and plug it into one of your switched outlets on the back of the Yamaha. Plug the other end into the Parasound trigger input. The only thing you need to find out is the minimum mA (mili amp) rating that the Parasound needs.

Rich B.

Dan Baxter

Agent
It's not an issue with a 12 volt trigger. Rather a problem with either the switch or relay. It may also be some type of protection circuit kicking in. I'm having a hard time getting parasound to cover this under warranty. I bought it off Audiogon a few months ago. It dosn't seem like a major problem, however I would like it fixed. The strange thing is if I leave the amp off for 10 minutes it always seems to power up the first time.

Dan

BruceD

Screenwriter
Dan,

Yes, I remember reading about the protection circuit, I have the same one in my Parasound 1205a 5-channel amp, and it doesn't let my unit come back on after a power cycle. I have to wait a few minutes, this is standard.

So there could certainly be a problem as you mentioned in one of the three areas; switch, relay or protection circuit.

BruceD

Dan Baxter

Agent
Bruce does your amp do the same thing as mine? If you turn it off and then back on do you have to wait a few mins? Does anyone else have this problem with there Parasound?

Dan

John H

Second Unit
...does your amp do the same thing as mine? If you turn it off and then back on do you have to wait a few mins? Does anyone else have this problem with there Parasound?
Dan,
I use a HCA-2205A and HCA-1500A in my system. I turn them on/off with a Panamax 5300 switched outlets.
Both amps will turn right back on after complete AC shut down.
They will also power back up immediately after shut down when using the amps front panel switch from standby mode.
In the past I have also used 3 HCA-1000A's, HCA-2003 and another HCA-1500A. They all operated the same.
I would suggest giving Tony a call at Parasounds technical assistance. Maybe he can help trouble shoot the problem.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks