Parasound HCA-1000A Current Overload?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Edwin_H, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently using a Parasound HCA-1000A hooked into my Denon 2802 to power my front speakers(Rocket 750s). I only just now noticed while watching a DVD at high levels that the current overload lights were lighting up. I don't know if this has been happening before as I usually don't look over at the amp while I'm watching movies. My speakers have a nominal impedence of 6 ohms. The parasound manual only mentions 8ohms and 4ohms. Is this a problem? How bad is current overload? What can I do? I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm far from an expert here. Please help me out.

-Edwin

2. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

Edwin. I'm not familiar with the Parasound but is the output speaker impedance switchable? Can you select 8 ohm vs. 4 ohms? If so, what is it currently set at? If it's at 8 ohms, then I'd try changing it to 4 ohms.

3. Edwin_H

anyone else with any ideas or help??? could really use some!

-e

4. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Edwin,

The specs on the 1000A are;

1)Continuous Power Output - Stereo: 200 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 ohms, both channels driven

2) Current Capacity: 45 amperes peak per channel

------------------------------

I can tell you that my Dynaudio speakers with a nominal impedance of 4 Ohms (and sometimes less) won't make my Parasound 1205A amp light-up the overload lights even when driven at reference level (105dB). The specs for watts and amps are the same between the two amps.

Therefore I would assume you need to check for any speaker wires that are frayed and possibly periodically shorting the connection, or maybe something is wrong with the amp or the speakers.

5. Edwin_H

I did some tinkering and found a few interesting things now. When recalibrating with Avia, the overload LEDs were almost solidly lighting up when the test signal was played. Even when the signal was only for one of the channels, both LEDs lit up. Is this strange?
    I then unhooked the fronts from the 1000A and ran them through my 855A, and voila, no overloads even at intense levels on DVDs. To me this means there is a problem with the 1000A. Any further thoughts? Thanks Rick and Bruce for the help so far.

Update- Ran the fronts back into the 1000A and did some more tests. I recut the terminations on my speaker wires to ensure that wasn't an issue. I put in Avia and still during the test signals the LEDs were lit for overload. I did a channel ID test on Avia and it did one round with the LEDs lighting up when a signal went through, but the next time around they were gone and didn't light up. I popped in a DVD and they did not light up like they had before. Then I went into the THX Optimizer to test it out. Ran some pink noise and sure enough they started lighting up again saying they were overloaded. I did find that during the speaker phase test that the overload lights only lit when the speaker test did the in-phase. When out-of-phase they were not lit. Does this mean anything? Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to get my problem solved soon. Thanks for the help.

-Edwin

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I don't know if you have ever opened up the amp, but maybe the the mounting bolts for some of the power transistors that hold them to the PCB are loose (I've heard of this before).

7. Edwin_H

Well Bruce, you were right about having to open it up! I talked to Parasound and the guy guided me through opening the amp and tightening a screw. Funny, huh? Just one little screw evidently caused the LEDs to light when they weren't supposed to. They don't light up now, so hopefully that will stay the same from here on out. Thanks for the help.

-Edwin

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Nice job BruceD! Care to elaborate a bit more on what screw or bolt it was that you turned as well as any tidbits that Parasound shared with you?

9. Edwin_H

Well, I can tell you where the screw was, but I haven't the foggiest what the names of the electronics are inside. It was a screw in the middle of 4 little black cylinders that were behind the big oval silver thingy in the front of the unit. It wasn't loose so far as I could tell, but i gave it a little tightening and voila no more LEDs lighting up when they shouldn't. The Parasound guy just said that he's heard of that happening before, but no more elaboration. Hope this helps out. Thanks.

-E

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

John Curl, who may've had something to do with this unit, posts every now and then over at AudioAsylum. He might be able to shed more light as to what exactly happened. So if you post there, you might get more insight. In any event, good to know they're not blinking any longer!