Parasound Halo availability and hum ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by henning hoffmann, Jun 6, 2002.

1. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone knows when Parasound Halo series 2 and series 1 components will be available. As well, will the amplifiers have the same hum problems I've heard many people have with their previous designs?

Henning

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Parasound is saying later this summer.
    Not sure about the hum you are referring to. I haven't seen a mention of it before.
    The 2205 is still one of the best 5 channel amps for the money.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I've seen a Halo 2 channel preamp and power amp at GoodGuys, but I don't recall which model.

I also don't recall there being a hum problem with Parasound amps. I have demoed a number of them and didn't notice any hum. I agree with Brian, the 2205 is one of the best sub $2K multi-channel amps avialable and it certainly doesn't have a hum problem.

4. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Audioadvisor is carrying Halo gear. And Parasound amps have been known to hum - it's even been documented in a pro review (SGHT or PVision I believe).

Rich B.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I own 2 Parasound amps the 2203a and the 2205a, there has never been a hum problem with these amps.BTW the 2205a is for sale if anyone is interested.I will make someone a good deal.

Steve

8. John H

John H Second Unit

Is the hum people are referring to ground loop hum?

In the past I have owned three HCA-1000A's, HCA-2003 and a
    HCA-1500A.

I currently use a HCA-2205A and another HCA-1500A. I have never experienced transformer hum. Only an occasional groung loop issue.

I believe the new Halo HT amplifiers will be equipped with ground lift switches.

John

9. henning hoffmann

So, has anyone heard anything yet about the new C1 and C2 processors? Featuers? Release dates? There's very little information that I could find.

10. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I heard the Halo pre amp and power amps yesterday on a pair of Mirage OM5's. Sounded good. (Cheep to)[​IMG]

11. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

I heard this Set-up at the local Good Guys and they were using the balanced connection. The prices are decent but after hearing them I thought they were a little TOO Warm for my taste.

They used Mirage Speakers (book shelves) and the Bostons (a little better sound).

They do look stunning but I think that you'll need a brighter speaker set unless you are into VERY WARM sound.

Angelo

12. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

My Parasound 3 channel had a hum; but once I went the way of the grounded to ungrounded adaptor, no more hum!

13. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Ground loop hum is very common with these type of amps, I home demoed a rotel 1095 which had caused a hum once I located the problem (cable tv line) it was gone. My parasound 2205 also had the same problem and that too was corrected! Transformer hum which is an internal hum is pretty rare at least from what I've heard. Btw I love my parasound amp it looks awesome in my rack and it sounds incredible you cant go wrong with this amp[​IMG]
    Bob

14. henning hoffmann

Has anyone heard anything about the series 1 and series 2 components? (Like the C1 or C2 processors, or the D1 or D2 DVD players.)

15. Steve*MH

Steve*MH Stunt Coordinator

The C1 looks to be one of the best SSPs available. Highlights are the LCD preview monitor, 12 programmable channels for the possible future 10.2 or programed for whatever you want, 9 balanced outputs, open architechure for hardware upgrades, software through RS-232. HometheaterMaster remote with touchscreen and upgradeability from the web. From what I can tell, the most versatile and best looking SSP on the market, especially with the 12 programmable outputs.
    The D1 highlight is that I believe it will have an internet connection to allow the player to surf the internet through the D1 for upgrades and also, not real sure, but may allow the downloading of DVD/CD cover art from the internet, ala the Escient products. I believe the D1 has been postponed however to allow multichannel SACD and perhaps other features. Two awesome products though from what I have heard and awesome looking. Am anxiously awaiting these two.