Parasound Halo amp-Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I just checked out the new Parasound Halo amp (125W x 2) at Goodguys today. I gotta tell you, I was impressed. Not only does it look gorgeous, but it sounded great, too. Of course, it was driving Boston Acoustics, so I don't know what they'll do for my Paradigm Studio 40s. I hear that Parasound and Paradigm are a good match-up, though.

I'm tempted as hell to buy one tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had one and how it performed? Will there be a noticeable difference from my Onkyo 898? Ah, the temptation...

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I haven't heard anything on the Halo line yet. I guess since it's fairly new. But I will tell you going to external amplication will be best thing you can do.

I have a Denon 3802 and when I purchased my Parasound 1205A my mouth fell to the floor on how much of a change in sound there was. Like I said in another post I will never go back to using receiver amps again.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of price does your dealer have on the Halo amp?

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

On a slightly related note:

Anyone know if the Halo line will be releasing any multi-channel amps. ie: 3,5, or 7 channel amps. I'm seriously looking into adding external amplification, and these amps seem like a decent price:performance ration. And plus, they're just so pretty!!

Or, is the Halo line meant to be mainly for 2 channel audio??

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Greg: It is $850 (which is list price), but this weekend there's 10% off.

Nick: I found this on the web-
    The higher-priced 1-series comprises the five-channel A 51 ($4,000) and two-channel A 21 ($2,000), each delivering 250 watts per channel (wpc) into 8 ohms and 325 wpc into 4 ohms; 1-series amps also offer gain controls. The more affordable five-channel A 52 ($2,000) and two-channel A 23 ($850) deliver 125 wpc into 8 ohms and 200 wpc into 4 ohms. The special $3,000 JC 1 monoblock shown here is named after its creator, John Curl.

I thought about a 5-channel, but to tell you the truth, it's 2-channel music I care most about (please don't stone me!). My ears don't seem to be as critical when listening to HT.

I forgot to add, the when I demoed it, it was running hot as hell. It was really hot to the touch.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Wow Pam, those Halos are beautiful to look at. I have the Parasound 1205A and it does run hot, hot, hot. I hear that about the Parasound amps and I guess it extends to the Halo line.

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Pamela, I totally concur that Parasound and Boston Accoustics are a great match. I recently bought the 855A which is driving BA VR-M series speakers and they sound sweet! I can only imagine what the Halo amps would do for them.

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Sounds like I should get one. Oh the agony...
    I would have to charge it, which I don't want to do. I need to be patient and wait a month or two when I have the dough. This is killin' me! [​IMG]
    Get it. No don't get. it. Yes, get it. No, don't get it. Yes, get it. [​IMG]

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Pamela, this is your conscience speaking, "Buy it. Buy it now!!! Spend, spend, spend. Or else..."
    Just kidding around. The best things in life are worth waiting for. It's brand new, so the prices can only go down. Wait until you're comfortable. And, when you do get it, let us all know the glee you feel listening to it.[​IMG]