Parasound, Denon, Paradigm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Thomas, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Auditioning

I have recently picked up the reference series by Paradigm, Ref 100's, cc , 20's and servo 15. I am using a Denon AVR5700 with 140w x 5 to drive the system for now. When I bought the new speakers I knew I was going to have to upgrade amp to drive the system properly. This would be my step into seperates. The 140 w from the denon just does no justice to 2 channel music.

I have been looking hard and heavy at the Anthem AVM20 pre/pro and the new designed MCA 50. The drawback on the amp is that it is rated at 225 w but this is one channel driven and 180w all 5 channels.

I am looking for suggestion from any body with Paradigm speakers and what outboard amp are they using to go through an existing AVR reciever. Sound quality, bright or harsh highs, mellow mids and tight base? I am also looking at the Parasound HCA-2205A with 225w per channel all channels driven, and later to come the Anthem AVM20 pre/pro.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be apprciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

I'm using the Parasound 2205a amp to drive my Paradigm Reference setup through a Denon 3802. It sounds very good. The Parasound and Paradigm combo is very well matched. My weak link is the Denon 3802, which is no slouch, but is not a AVM 20. Still deciding on the Pre/Pro but and very happy with the Paradigm and Parasound combo: smooth highs, great bass and great midrange. Effortless.

James

3. FrankB

FrankB Agent

I have Studio 60s in front, Studio 20s in back and an Onkyo 777 reciever (105 watts). I recently upgraded by adding an Anthem MCA 30 amp and it sounds great. Plenty of power for me. The Onkyo still drives the rear surrounds.