What's new

Parasound AVC-2500u (1 Viewer)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Robert,

I don't know if Bryston is coming out with a 250wpc (their amps only come in 60, 120, 250, 500 wpc flavors) version of the 9B. It would have been announced at CES 2002 and I haven't seen/heard any references to it.

Regarding the headroom issue, I'm not sure if that really is an issue with your 94db speakers. That 3db difference between your 94db Klipsch and my 91db DefTechs makes your speakers twice as loud as mine given the same inputs! Put this way, 20.79dbw (amp output at 120watts) + 94dbw (the sensitivity of your speakers) = 114db. The THX reference level is only 105db! Every 3db increase is a perceived doubling of volume! For another perspective, for me to achieve the same output as you, I would need a 200wpc amp (23.01 dbw + 91dbw of my speakers) to get 114db.

OTOH, if you see yourself buying less sensitive speakers in the future, it might make sense to go for a higher powered amp.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Camp,

Perhaps you should post your system requirements (ie, connectivity, 5.1 inputs, how many speakers, etc) for everyone's benefits. I think you need the connectivity of a flagship receiver (or Ref30, which is part of a flagship receiver).

Just curious, the B&K AVR305/307 receivers has the same prepro innards as the Ref30. Does that mean you would not consider a 305/307 because it supposes sounds worse? And to this end, if you agree that a 305/307 will sound close enough to the Ref30, why wouldn't you also consider a 4802?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,
A five channel version of the 250wpc is too heavy. According to James Tanner, Bryston refuses to build an amplifier that weighs too much to be easily shipped by UPS/FedEx.
Not to mention that they are a bit unwieldy ;)
Regards,

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gordon, John,
Ok. This figuring out dB's thing just annoys the hell out of me.
I figured:
94 97 100 103 107 110 113 116 dB's
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 watts
Is that right?
Next. I sit in my living room and listen to Jewel playing at 94 - 106 dB's. That, of course, is two channel. Is this reference level a sustained measurement?
I am using a Yamaha 995 (100 watts a channel) right now to power this system - I would expect the Bryston with a 'real' 120 watts to turn the heat up much higher. Am I wrong? I would be slightly perturbed to get a Bryston 9B and find my volume doesn't get much higher - maybe I am out in the yard and want to hear it loud. :) Maybe 2 6B-ST's are called for - that means major bucks.
Or maybe I am over analyzing - someone else theorized you would have to spend 10X the cost of the Outlaw on any other amp to really hear a difference.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the 6B-ST is already 85lbs. A five channel version would probably take it to 130lbs. The only way they can make a 5 channel and keep it a reasonable size is to make the modules smaller. I'm sure that involves compromises they're not willing to take.

John H

Second Unit
Being a proud owner of the AVC2500u for one year (mated to a HCA2205A), I can highly recommend this processor. It has received plenty of praise (here is one review - AVC-2500u).

It DOES have the 5.1 analog pass-thru (volume control available for $200), in addition to the bass management.
The AVC-2500u already has the bass managemnt software and analog 5.1 volume card installed. The "u" stands for upgraded.

Camp,

I recently placed my AVC-2500 up for sale. Contact me if interested.

John

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Robert,
Are you implying 106db is not loud enough? :) If your Yamaha can already drive your speakers to satisfactory levels, the 9B with it's "real" wpc at 150-160 would only gain you an additional 1.5db. Noticeable, but not double the volume...unless the Yamaha's "real" wpc was in the 75-80wpc region. Use this chart to figure out the output. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf..._watts_dbW.pdf
The THX reference level is peak, but it can go higher.

Armando_P

Auditioning
The AVC-2500u already has the bass managemnt software and analog 5.1 volume card installed. The "u" stands for upgraded.
Nope...the bass management comes with "u" version (which was originally an option on the AVC2500..non-U version). However, if you want volume control of the bypassed analog 5.1 channels, you will need to purchase the volume control ($200). I should know, because I recently inquired into this. This volume control does NOT come standard on the 2500u.
Check out Parasound's web site...
Options for the AVC2500u
Ciao!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Your speakers are 94dB/1w/1m, is this what you're saying?

If so, don't forget to take into account the natural drop for distance. In theory it's an inverse square law, in practice a little less.

If your goal is reference level, you need to achieve 105dB at the listening position (edit of earlier mistake).

Sonic differences aside, 100wpc would probably suffice to hit reference level.

Regards,

John H

Second Unit
Armando,

Thanks for the clarification. My unit is the original AVC-2500. When they released the bass management software upgrade the VC sound card was not available yet. I waited unitil it was before sending in my unit for upgrades.

Mine was the very first AVC-2500 to have the 5.1 VC installed.

I don't know why Parasound didn't include the VC card in the AVC-2500u?

John

Bob Santos

Agent
Camp,

The Reference 30 is a real nice piece. I had mine for about a year. I just recently sold it. I also had the silver face plate. It sold within hours of listing it on audiogon.

Before the Reference 30 I had a Theta Casa Nova. I actually prefered the B&K sound in my system.

Unfortunately I havent had any expirience with the Parasound. So I cant be of much help there.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
John, congrats on the new job! You said you were going to sell the Ref 30 and so you did.The Ref 30 is a nice pre/pro but wow, upgrades and info from B&K is like waiting on the second coming.It took about 3 days to sell my Ref 30 on Audiogon. At the time the MC-1's had dropped in price due to the 12's release so I picked one up.I've got to say no regrets.It is a fantastic piece for HT and to my ears equals the Ref 30 in the music department.Logic 7 is the dope as my kids would say.I never did need the video switching and when there is more software for DVD-A I hope the Baby MC-12 is available.

Cheers,

Steve M.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

The Ref 30 does the job, but it's being left behind, and in my system, is a limiting factor.

That's kind of a good problem to have, methinks, and it will take a substantial $$ investment to surpass it sonically.

Regards,

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, the B&K AVR305/307 receivers has the same prepro innards as the Ref30. Does that mean you would not consider a 305/307 because it supposes sounds worse? And to this end, if you agree that a 305/307 will sound close enough to the Ref30, why wouldn't you also consider a 4802?
Sorry Ricky, I didn't explain myself very well. I just purchased a dedicated 5-channel amp. I bought a Sherwood AM-9080 so I have no need for a receiver's amps.
I didn't mean to imply that the 4802 wouldn't work. Just that I want a true pre/pro instead.

Bill Wilkins

Agent
I have owned the Parasound av2500 which was upgraded with the bass management and vc. The unit is versatile on the fly and is very neutral sounding. Neutral, imho, to the point of sterility.

I currently own the Anthem AVM20 and find that the unit is also very versatile, and is also very neutral sounding. Neutral and rich sounding. I love the Anthem sound.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Camp,

I know you have the sherwood amp. Just trying to present the potential that you could actually spend more on a Ref30 compared to a Denon 4802 (less than 1600) and have comparable sound quality and less features (Denon has DPL2, ~8 dual differential dacs). Plus, you can also use two amps in the Denon to drive two rear centers (which can still make a difference in a small room).

A used Parasound AVC2500 under 1300 would be a great buy too.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha, Ricky. Yea, that's still an option. I may be able to trade my AVR-7000 for the AVR-8000 for virtually nothing. If I do that I'll either keep the 8000 (following your outline) or sell it to fund something else.

I'm just kind of bored with receivers, you know?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Camp,
I completely understand the boredom factor :) I suffer from it more than most...LOL! Boy, that's a great relationship you have with your northwest dealer...520 to 7000...to 8000?! I would make this trade-in regardless.
Another under-rated prepro is the Aragon Soundstage (retail 4k), used ~ $1500, 11 digital inputs, with 8 s-video, no component video and no DPL2:
http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index...=y&id=&line=&1

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,

I just bought the AVC-2500 in used condition to match my other Parasound Amps.

I will receive it from the Service guys after they upgraded it with the Bass & VC Options.

I paid 1400 EUR for the unit and 900 EUR on top for the Upgrades/service work, which is in total still way under the list price in Germany.

I'll really looking forward to get the unit into my config and see what it does to my music.

Cheers,

Ax

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks