Parasound AVC-1800 or Sherwood AVP-9080r?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Poole, Jun 13, 2002.

1. David Poole

David Poole Auditioning

Jan 14, 2000
    I just need some opinions and a couple of questions answered. I'm looking at getting one of them used pretty soon (they're both on Ebay right now).
    My system:
    Receiver: Sony ES STR-DA80ES
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1205A
    Main Speakers: B&W 602s2
    Center Speaker: B&W CDMCNT
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    Subwoofer: Paradigm PW2200
    I'm a bit biased toward the Parasound (I have experience with them, and the Re-eq feature), although the Sherwood has gotten good word of mouth. This brings me to my questions.
    1. To those that have direct experience with it, does the Parasound have the problems/quirks that AudioReview brings up (loud pops, squealing when detecting Dolby Digital/DTS)?
    2. As far as I understand, the Parasound does not have an analog bypass on the main stereo inputs, so could the 5.1 input be used as one (and is this viable)?
    3. As I've understood it, the Parasound leans to the warm side of neutral while the Sherwood leans to the bright side. Is this accurate?
    Thanks in advance everyone. [​IMG]
  2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Jul 16, 2000
    i can't answer the parasound questions, but regarding question 3:

the one avp9080 i demoed was paired with some Klipsch, which to my understanding are very bright because of the horns (though I could be way off base) powered by the matching Sherwood amp. The sound was anything was bright. I was very clear and detailed, but very neutral...almost warm-ish. Reminds me of B&K sound if that's any kind of reference. This was on music. On the JP3 DTS soundtrack, it performed very well also...but being a movie soundtrack, nothing really distinguishing from any of the other pre-pros/receivers I auditioned.