Parasound Amps - Canadian getting Ripped-Off

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Berry, Jul 2, 2002.

1. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for some information from those of you who own Parasound amps. I am trying to purchase an HCA-1205A in Guelph (near Toronto) but it is like pulling teeth! I keep getting everyone's list price ($2799 Cdn ~ $1775 US) in Ontario. I have phoned a dozen stores. Now, I have bought a SACD player (SCD-C555ES) from Oade Brothers in the US and have no reservations about purchasing from over the border. What place did you by your Parasound amp and, if you want to add, at what price?

Thank you

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

$649 + shipping at UBid. I'm not certain they ship to Canada though.

3. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

I got the 2205A from Ubid for $1179.

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

The new U.S. sugg. retail is $1199.
    Landed, your looking at around $2300 Can.
    once shipping, duty and taxes are paid.
    Try: Kennedy Hifi-Benny Kwok 416-752-2066.
    That's in north Toronto.
    Tell him Richard Anderson suggested I call you.
    P.S. Ubid will not ship outside the U.S.

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

David,

After you purchase the amp from our friends south of the border... write a letter to the editor of the local paper.

Don't name the retailers, just show the differences in pricing and how we, the Canacks, get screwed over.

It's not ALL to blame on the retailers, lack of demand, etc. Some entity has the distributorship for the Parasound in Canada, and with their cut is adding to the cost.

6. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

7. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I know your question is about Parasound, but you might want to consider Anthem, a really good Canadian amp which you can actually buy for less here than in the US, and you might just find you like it.

Cheers

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Outlaw Audio has OUTSTANDING amps. 5 x 200 and a 7 x 200.

FWIW,

Gregg

9. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

David,
    The web-site of Kennedy Hi-Fi has the 1205 listed on page 3 of their pre-owned/clearance page for $1900CDN (one in stock). I'm assuming it isn't used, as there is no such indication beside the listing, unlike those of several other products available. FYI, Audio One had one new-in-box Anthem MCA5 as recently as three weeks ago going for $1699+pst/gst. May be worth a call (416-655-0749). Cheers.
    DS.

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Dave,

You may want too look into Rotel. In the $2000 range you may do pretty well.

Kevin

11. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I purchased my Parasound HCA-1205A in 1998 for $1350.00 U.S. from a place called Sound City in New Jersey or New York (cannot remember).

I recently had to send it back to Parasound as my relays were going bad and the sound was cutting in and out. I must say that I have only had good experiences with their customer service. They replaced all 5 relays. I only had to pay shipping and handling. Got my amp back in 2-3 weeks.

Now if you are not totally set on the Parasound...you might want to try the ATI 1505 amp. I think it sounds better than the Parasound...I was young and naive and got fooled into thinking that anything "THX certified" was better when I purchased the Parasound. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Parasound, but in retrospect I would have gotten the ATI.

12. David Berry

Thank you all for your responses. I was looking at the Parasound amp mainly because of all the posts in this forum stating the great synergy with Paradigm Studio speakers. I have the Denon 3802, Studio 60v2, Studio CC, and Mission 700 bookshelf speakers. I will phone Benny at Kennedy HiFi and see if he is willing to make a deal. Just to ensure that I will get no buyers remorse, I'll do a little digging into the Anthem MCA5.
    UBid does not ship to Canada? Pity.
    As a side note, I am glad that I am not alone when I read various posts of how you guys have to convince your wives or significant other of how this new "insert audio equipment" will greatly improve the sound and enjoyment of the system. I shudder when I even think of the look I'll get when my wife finds out that I am looking for a new amp. Hey, this would make a good thread!

13. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

14. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

15. David Berry

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up. Prior to phoning Kennedy HiFi, I phoned one more store near Ottawa, Stereo Plus at (613) 830-6787, and spoke to Stephane. They are willing to sell new HCA 1205A amplifiers for $1600 plus tax. As that was the best price I could find by far, I phoned Kennedy HiFi and though Benny was off today, I spoke to Ed. He, in short, told me to go buy it at Stereo Plus. As an aside, the one at Kennedy HiFi is a demo unit.
    In my household, my wife is observant. If she found out (and she would) that I bought yet something else related to audio equipment without mentioning it first it would not be a pretty sight. I have found that if I can somehow manage to change "that look" to something more favourable, it makes for a nicer atmosphere. Of course, YMMV.

16. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

At $1600 Can., you are well under what the average American
    is paying. On some products, this is how it is. Canadian
    retailers are taking smaller profits in order to move
    electronics. As far as "looks" go, they had a Sima
    2 channel power amp at Kennedy (used) that put those ugly
    black boxes to shame. But it did cost $2500 used. [​IMG]